Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Valentine's Day and Voracious Reader

I have a love/hate relationship with Valentine's Day.

On the one hand, I believe in true love and think it's thoroughly appropriate to have a day devoted to telling your soulmate that he is the phoenix of your heart, or whatever. On the other hand, I resent that a greeting card costs nearly as much as a paperback book. (I ran out of clever non-card small-yet-meaningful gift ideas ages ago. Sorry, dear phoenix of my heart.)

Best Valentine's card ever was the one where we jointly bought a single card then covered up half as we each wrote our message to the other. I also loved the year where we both bought the same exact card for each other, proving how in-sync we are (or how poor the card selection at the supermarket was).

Anyway, this Friday, to console me while I suffer through the traditional card-buying angst, I will be participating in a very fun book event with four other awesome authors at The Voracious Reader, a wonderful bookstore in Larchmont, NY. Here's the description from the bookstore's website:

Won’t You Be My Paranormal Valentine?
Friday, Feb. 11th, 2011
7:00 - 9:00 PM
Meet FIVE thrilling authors of the paranormal: Cynthia Leitich Smith, Daniel Nayeri, Jen Nadol, Sarah Beth Durst, and Shannon Delany. Discover your destiny, find your heart's desire, or a book you can sink your teeth into. Come in costume (there will be prizes!), semi-formal (there will be photos!), or casual-as-you-like-it. Teens and YA fans welcome!

Hope you all have a wonderful Valentine's Day!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 1:33 AM, Blogger Anne Leigh said...

Yaaay, Valentine's day, to remind me I have no one but the imaginary boys in my head--but honestly I love this holiday...


Cheap chocolate. Best. Season. Ever.

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Have a great Valentines Sarah! =D

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Amy Sisson said...

Ah yes, love/hate on V-Day. The part I love is having my birthday on Valentine's Day. The part I hate is:

1) having people around me constantly tell me they hate my birthday (of course, they're saying they hate Valentine's Day, but it's hard not to take it personally!)

2) not going out to dinner on my birthday. Ever. I decided long ago I wasn't going to put up with reduced menus, higher prices, and rushed service (get 'em in and out!)

I do really like having my birthday that day, though. And since my husband's is only 3 days away, we just pick a day and celebrate all 3 occasions at once.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

SavyLeartist: You're right about the chocolate. Wonder if there are post-Valentine's Day chocolate sales... *plots*

Laura: You too!

Amy: Happy birthday!!! That is lovely that you can combine it with your and your husband's birthdays.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home