Friday, April 27, 2007

Review from Charles de Lint in F&SF Magazine!

Today I checked my email and found a message with the subject line: "review from F&SF July 2007 issue attached". Needless to say, it caught my eye. I clicked on it. OMG... The news comes in four parts:

1) CHARLES DE LINT READ INTO THE WILD!
2) CHARLES DE LINT LIKED INTO THE WILD!!
3) CHARLES DE LINT WROTE A NICE REVIEW OF INTO THE WILD!!!
4) CHARLES DE LINT'S NICE REVIEW OF INTO THE WILD WILL APPEAR IN THE JULY ISSUE OF THE MAGAZINE OF FANTASY & SCIENCE FICTION IN HIS "BOOKS TO LOOK FOR" COLUMN!!!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

DEEP BREATH, SARAH.

STEP AWAY FROM THE CAPS LOCK.

Charles de Lint is one of my all-time favorite writers. He's the author of Jack the Giant-Killer -- one of my absolute favorite novels and one of the best fairy-tale retellings EVER -- as well as The Onion Girl, Dreams Underfoot, Widdershins, Tapping the Dream Tree, Greenmantle, Yarrow, Memory and Dream, The Ivory and the Horn, The Blue Girl... He is a master of stories in which cool-magical-things-happen-in-the-real-world. AND HE LIKED MY BOOK... AND WROTE NICE THINGS ABOUT IT IN A COOL MAGAZINE LIKE F&SF...

CALM DOWN. BREATHE. SERIOUSLY NOW SARAH, PUT THE CAPS LOCK AWAY.

A year ago, if someone had told me that Charles de Lint... There is no way I would have believed them. No way.

After I came down from my initial hysteria, I noticed that my fellow Class-of-2k7er, Melissa Marr, also got a wonderful review in the very same column. Eeeeeeeeeee for Melissa! Today is a cool day.

Now here's my dilemna. I really, REALLY, want to tell you all what Charles said, but the magazine's not out yet. They sent me an advance copy of the review as a courtesy, and I doubt they want me spilling it all over the internets before the actual magazine comes out. Right? So I should wait to post it... Right??? I think I'm right about this, but if anyone has a compelling counter-argument, please do tell! Otherwise, I'll be sure to post a link to the review as soon as the magazine comes out.

Now I think I need to lie down...

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I love his books as well. The Blue Girl is my favorite of his.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

STACY: Thanks so much! I adored The Blue Girl too. Just thinking about it makes me want to reread it.

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger heidi said...

Congratulations, Sarah! I saw your link on lj--I have a brand new live journal now--please come visit me.

About your question: I wouldn't post it until the magazine is out. Don't want to step on any important toes, you know???

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Ryan Freebern said...

Congratulations! That's great news.

Instead of posting the review, maybe you could just post your favorite two-word phrase from the review. Just to wet our whistles.

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

HEIDI: Thanks! Your new LJ looks great. Yay for Coe winning the LA Times Book Award for YA!!!

Ryan: Okay, here are three words from Charles de Lint: "author who delivers." :) The rest will have to wait until the July F&SF Magazine comes out, which I think actually happens at the end of May!

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, Charles de Lint. That's amazing. Congratulations, Sarah!

I agree on not posting it before the magazine comes out.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

SHEILA: Thanks so much! I want to do the Snoopy Dance of Joy every time I think about it. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home