Sunday, April 15, 2007

First Print Review for Into the Wild!

INTO THE WILD has its very first print review! And I now have it in my grubby little hands! Mwah-ha-ha!

My Quest to Obtain a Copy of My First Print Review:


Day One: Received an email from one of my Broad Universe friends (Kathy Sullivan -- thanks, Kathy!) saying that she'd received an advance copy of the June issue of Realms of Fantasy and that it included a good review of INTO THE WILD. Danced around the house. Emailed Kathy to thank her. Discovered it's hard to dance and type at the same time but it can be done if one is persistant enough. I am nothing if not persistant.

Day Two: Dropped by the local Borders on the off-chance that they would also have an advance copy of the June issue. They didn't. Bought the April issue anyway so that I could stare at the reviews page and picture what my review would look like. Held my bookmark up against the magazine so that I could better imagine my review. Hid bookmark when husband came in the room so he wouldn't think I'm crazy-obsessive. Husband asked to borrow bookmark to hold up against the magazine.

Day Three: Received an email from another writer friend (Laini Taylor -- thanks, Laini!) saying that she'd seen the review of INTO THE WILD in Realms of Fantasy and offering to type it into an email if I hadn't seen it. Worried that she'd think I'm crazy-obsessive if I said yes. Decided that I am in fact crazy-obsessive and said yes. Checked email every five minutes. Received email and read review. Snoopy Dance of Joy! It is a good review!!

Day Four: Decided to wait until I could see it in print before posting about it on my blog.

Day Five: Still waiting.

Day Six: Still waiting.

Day Seven: Checked the Barnes & Noble in Worcester (where I'll be doing a reading/signing on July 14th). Still the April issue.

Day Eight: Checked again just in case. Still April.

Day Nine: Called the local Borders. Nope.

Day Ten to Infinity: I am not good at waiting.

Day Infinity: Called the local Borders. Considered disguising my voice so that they wouldn't tip to the fact that I'm crazy-obsessive. Decided that would look even crazier. Put on hold while bookseller goes to check the shelves.

Day Infinity plus Ten Minutes: Disconnected.

Day Infinity plus Eleven Minutes: Called back. No answer.

Day Infinity plus Twelve Minutes: Called back. No answer.

Day Infinity plus Thirteen Minutes: Called Waldenbooks in mall. Wait while bookseller checks shelves. No June issue.

Day Infinity plus Fifteen Minutes: Called Borders again. Put on hold while bookstore guy checks shelves...

Day Infinity plus Twenty Minutes: Victory! They have it! Hop in car and drive to Borders.

Day Infinity plus One Hour: Home again.

Now: I have the magazine! Ooh, there's a story by Charles de Lint in it. Cool... Must focus. Flip to review section. And yes! There it is! The review is in the Young Adult fiction section by Michael Jones. It's the very first review on the page, and there's a picture of the cover art right up at the top!

I'll tell you what it says in the next blog entry... (It's only fair. I had to wait. :) ) Oh, who am I kidding, I'll post it right now, but in a separate entry so I can link to it from the Reviews page of my website.

2 Comments:

At 1:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Sarah! That's very cool!

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Thanks so much, Jen!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home