Sunday, March 22, 2009

Thin Mints

Today I received a handwritten note in my mailbox:

"Hi, Sarah. We have your cookies. Call us at 867-5309."

Yes, it's one of the three signs of spring: crocuses, robins, and ransom notes from Girl Scouts. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse... THIN MINTS!


I love Girl Scout Cookies, especially thin mints. Eating them brings back nice warm, fuzzy memories. I used to devour full sleeves of thin mints with my mom. I assume we also shared them with my brother, but I don't recall being all that into sharing when it came to thin mints. (Sorry, brother!)

These cookies are a memory food for me -- you know, one of those foods that brings a whole string of associated memories. Girl Scout cookies remind me of being in the Girl Scouts and of camping. I was a Brownie in elementary school, and our biggest activity was the annual camping trip. S'mores. Sit-upons. Scavenger breakfasts... I'm sure other troops actually scavenged through the forest for breakfast, but our version of scavenger breakfast was to search for little cereal boxes that the grown-ups had hidden in the trees. The coup was finding the box of Fruit Loops.

Fruit Loops carry their own set of memories. Growing up we weren't allowed to have any cereal where the first ingredient was sugar, so that meant Fruit Loops were right out since sugar is pretty much the first, second, third, fourth, and fifth ingredient. So of course in college, I ate Fruit Loops at nearly every meal. Yes, I was quite the rebel.


Other big memory foods for me are fresh raspberries (we used to have a raspberry patch in our backyard) and havarti cheese melted on pita bread (my mom used to make it as a special snack or party appetizer). What are your memory foods?

I'm happy to say that I paid the ransom and now have my three boxes of thin mints. So now it's officially spring.

Happy spring, everyone!

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

At 4:37 PM, Blogger Q said...

Thin mints are the best. Ever.

Memory foods... Fresh grapefruit with crystally honey reminds me of my grandma, chives are my childhood backyard, those biscotti cookies my dad used to bring home for us girls after he took a business trip, my traditional after-thanksgiving sandwich, the delicious taquitos at a local Mexican restaurant... I remember exactly what all of those taste like, and why they're special. Mmmmmm...

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Q: We used to have chives in our yard too. When we did the whole lemonade stand thing, I used to try to sell chives also. Not a big money-maker.

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Priya said...

I love thin mints. And Fruit Loops too.

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger E.C. Myers said...

I was afraid that was a ransom note! "We have your cookies. If you ever want to see them again..."

Enjoy! Thin Mints are the best, right after those Peanut Butter Tagalongs. I resisted the Girl Scout cookies this year, and I now regret it.

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Nikki Carson (Katie) said...

I like the peanut butter and carmel kind best!

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Haunted Mansion Geek said...

Ah, I love thin mints! Yes, sugary cereal was banned from my home, too. I've always been more of a Lucky Charms person, though. :)

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Maya Ganesan said...

Aw, sweet. I've never actually wanted to eat sugary cereal and I wasn't allowed to, either, so I had a happy compromise there. :) I still don't eat sugary cereal. Healthy me. (But y'know, I *am* a sucker for chocolate...)

Hershey's kisses make me remember the time I was digging into a bag of them in class (I know, I know). Later, when I was cleaning out my desk, I had quite a time getting rid of all the wrappers. It was fun. ;)

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Priya: You clearly have good taste. :)

Eugene: You must be strong in the Force. I can never resist Girl Scout Cookies.

Katie: Mmm, those are good too.

Sara: I'm not sure I've ever eaten Lucky Charms. Or Cocoa Puffs.

Maya: A squirrel once gnawed through the bottom of my backpack in order to eat a single Hershey's kiss.

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Enna Isilee said...

Ooh. Moans. I love thin mints. So... delicious... we haven't bought girl scout cookies in a while. Probably because we bought so many a few years ago that we're still pretty stocked up.

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Charlotte said...

Thin mints rule.

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Enna Isilee: I'd have to buy a crate to have enough cookies to stay stocked...

Charlotte: Absolutely!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home