Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Star Wars

Best fairy tale of all time is Star Wars.

IMHO, it's also the best movie of all time. (Whenever anyone asks me what my favorite movie is, my response is always, "You mean, besides Star Wars?")

From "How I Met Your Mother":

Ted: (about Star Wars) It's just a movie.
(121 minutes of awesomeness later)
Ted: Okay, if Stella doesn't like this movie I can't marry her.
Marshall: No, you can't.
Ted: Wanna watch it again?
Marshall: Yes, I do.

It has all the trappings of science fiction (space ships, robots, blasters...), but at its heart it's a classic fantasy that taps into Joseph Campbell's monomyth and features standard fairy tale themes and archetypes: Luke as the young "simpleton" hero, Leia as damsel-in-distress, Obi-wan as wise man, Darth Vadar as the evil parent figure... yada yada.

Just type "Star Wars as myth" into Google, and you'll see books, documentaries, and about a zillion homework assignments discussing this.

Anyway, all of this is purely an excuse to share with you guys two awesome Star Wars-related video clips that I found online:





Just had to share. :)

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 7:43 AM, Blogger Q said...

A) Moosebutter is the funniest a cappella group...ever.
B) I kept thinking Vader was going to chop his head off with his light saber--I mean, baton.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Q: One of the two cute Darth Vaders out there. The other one, of course, being Darth Tater.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger holly cupala said...

Ha ha! Your title alone sucked me in, Sarah! I'm such a SW geek, seriously. I just posted a funny Star Wars video (retold, by someone who hasn't actually seen the movie) at my blog the other day:
Star Wars, Retold

 
At 12:57 AM, Blogger Maya Ganesan said...

Hmmm. Are we going to have a Star Wars mafia now? ;)

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Holly: That is absolutely hilarious! I particularly like Leia's gold suit.

Maya: I'd never go against the Star Wars mafia. Light sabers are dangerous, you know. (An elegant weapon from a more civilized age...)

 
At 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the links - those were great. And I pretty much agree with everything you said there, except I might have one or two other iconic films sharing top spot.

p.s. Boskone?

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Josh: I also adore The Princess Bride, Labyrinth, and the Dark Crystal. But nothing tops Star Wars for me.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to make it to Boskone this year. :( But I hope you have a great time!

 
At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I never knew that Darth Vader was so passionate about the arts. very talented Maeistro:)

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Wildwood31: He's also fond of sculpture and fine cheeses.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Maya Ganesan said...

I'm reading Into the Wild. Love it so far ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home