Sunday, October 19, 2008

Fudge

I have found a new muse.

Fudge.


I still love my Raisinets, of course, and consider them a vital component in my writing process, as well as my primary source of fruit, but fudge... mmm, fudge...

My husband came home the other day with a little Tiffany-blue box labeled "Sweet Melissa" (the name of the new gourmet candy shop in our town). Inside was a quarter-pound of raspberry-chocolate fudge, a quarter-pound of caramel-chocolate fudge, and a cute little plastic knife so that I could immediately begin slicing my fudge and shoveling it into my mouth (which I did).

I am considering having my husband knighted. (Can you do that? Can you nominate someone for knighthood? I know Sir Nils Olav was knighted a little while ago, and he's a penguin.)

The importance of chocolate in the creative process should not be underestimated. It works as a reward, it works as a break, it works as as a late-night caffeine source... I would eat it in a box. I would eat it with a fox. I would eat it here and there. I would eat it anywhere.

Except maybe for breakfast. I'm not a big chocolate-at-breakfast girl. Except for Nutella. And these churros and chocolate that I had on a trip to Spain. We ate them every single morning -- at least every morning once I realized you were supposed to dip the churros into the cup of liquid chocolate. First time I tried to order "chocolate caliente," I thought the chocolate was really, really thick hot cocoa, and I drank it. Got a few strange looks for drinking the dip. Three years of high school Spanish, and there I was, drinking the dip. Anyway. Fudge...

Oh, fudge, thou art delicious,
I would eat you with the fishes,
I would eat you rain or shine,
if you promise to always be mine.

Anyhoo... In non-fudge-related news, I want to tell you about the great library visit I did last week. I spoke to around twenty teens at the Northport Public Library in Northport, NY, as part of Teen Read Week. I had a fabulous time. Everyone had great questions, plus the wonderful librarians did a fantastic job -- they even decorated with Wild-appropriate vines and served wild-berry Lifesavers! Also, the Northport Library is gorgeous. It has a courtyard, a cafe, art displays... Even though I adore my local library, I still had a wee bit of library envy. Luckily, I had my fudge to console me.

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 10:34 PM, Blogger Q said...

Well, I don't like raisins in any form, but I do love fudge! You could learn how to make fudge, and then you would never have to be out of it!

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Q: I wish I knew how to cook. As it is, anything more complicated than toasting a bagel completely flummoxes me. I've been known to fail to hard-boil an egg.

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Anne Leigh said...

OMG fudge!!! My muse too! My grandmother's homemade fudge is to die for

 
At 3:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah-- Pamela Ross introducing myself on your blog. I'm a member of YA for OBAMA and I wanted to say hello before I sent a blind friend request. It pleases me to learn we're neighbors. (I'm in Huntington/Dix Hills.) And, like you, while I love our library, I have Massive Northport Library Envy. (A courtyard to die for.) My daughter wanted to move there for the library alone. Maybe one day.

Wishing you much luck with your work and I hope to get to know you in the days to come.

Oh, another thing we have in common?

Signing off,
-Pamela =Beth= Ross ;}

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

SavyLeartist: Mmm, homemade fudge... My grandmother used to make an impressive apple pie. Mmm, apple pie...

writerross: Nice to meet you! Cool that we're practically neighbors. :) Please feel free to friend me.

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Q said...

Well, properly hard boiling an egg really isn't as easy as it sounds.

Here's a recipe for no-cook fudge:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,197,155161-231197,00.html

I've never tried it, so I don't know how it is, but there you go.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Q: That actually looks do-able... Thanks!

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Q said...

Do share how it turns out if you do it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home