Sunday, September 09, 2007

Amazon.com Blog and Waldenbooks

Some coolness to report from the weekend:

1) Amazon.com Book Blog

I'm on the Amazon Books Blog! How cool is that? Seriously, I think this deserves a Snoopy Dance of Joy.

[pause for dancing]


I was interviewed by Jeff Vandermeer, author of Shriek, who asked lots of fun questions. Click here to read the interview.

2) Waldenbooks Trip Report

On Saturday, I had a book signing at the Waldenbooks in the Smith Haven Mall (near where I live on Long Island). I really, really loved Saturday. It was my first mall signing, and it went GREAT. I ended up staying twice as long as I'd originally planned and selling many more books than
I'd expected. Here I am at the book signing:

Me and My Trusty Purple Pen

And here are some of my favorite moments:

***

Me: Hi. How are you? I'm doing a book signing today. Would you like a free bookmark?

Elderly man (looking frightened): I just want road maps.

***

Man: Would you like a book? Here, honey, the author is here to sign it. Would you read this book if I got it for you?

Girl (kindly): Dad, reading's just not my thing.

Man: Why don't you like reading? What do you like?

Girl (consolingly): I like shopping.

Man (to me): Can you sign it to [name deleted] and say "with hopes that you'll read it"?

Woman (to me): She stopped reading when she noticed boys.

Me: It's tough to compete.

***

Girl: I really, really want your book, but my mom said I can't spend any more money.

Me: You can take a bookmark, if you like.

[ten minutes later, the same girl returns]

Girl: Mom said if I want it that badly, then I can have it!

***

Girl: Your book looks great. How much is it?

Me: $15.99.

Girl (to Boy): I don't have enough money. Can I borrow some?

Boy: I'll buy it for you.

Me: Who would you like me to make it out to?

Girl (to Boy): It's your book if you're buying it. She should make it out to you.

Boy (to Girl): But I'm buying it for you. She should make it out to you.

Girl (to Boy): How about she makes it out to both of us?

[moment of adoring smiles]

***

One of the best moments, though, happened after the signing was over. I was walking into the Cheesecake Factory with my family, and we passed a woman and her husband at a table. The woman was pointing at me, and I saw her turn to her husband and say, "There's the author!"

I swear I nearly did the Snoopy Dance of Joy right there in the restaurant.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful interview and charming excerpts from your mall signing. You're like Tiffany! Oh wait, now I'm dating myself.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Thanks, Steve! Sadly, I think I still have my Tiffany record. (Don't own a record-player, though...) I'm such a pack-rat.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Erin said...

So funny! I loved this post. Thanks for sharing those conversations. :D

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Thanks, Erin! All word-for-word real conversations.

 
At 3:34 AM, Anonymous Sweden Road Map said...

Hey Sarah, those moments were good. I wish you have more of such interviews in the future as well. :)

Check out my website for any help with planning your journeys. It has thousands of road maps, atlas, travel videos, history of countries, their languages and courses on foreign languages DVDs. I hope you will find it useful.

Best Regards,
Great Journeys!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home