Monday, October 19, 2009

Author Video, Books of Wonder, and Publishers Weekly

My Author Video is up on the Simon & Schuster website!!!



(If the video doesn't appear here, you can view it -- as well as an interview with me -- on my Simon & Schuster author page.)

Note that I'm wearing a polar bear necklace and polar
bear earrings. One of the little-known side effects of writing a book about a polar bear is that your husband starts buying you all sorts of polar bear-themed presents. Next book will be set in a diamond mine. (FYI, I'm kidding. I'm totally expecting a pet tiger with my next book...)

I also wore my polar bear jewelry (and polar bear socks) to my book event yesterday at Books of Wonder. I love book events at Books of Wonder! This one was with John Connolly, Marissa Doyle, John Hulme, Daniel Kirk, Diana Peterfreund, Dan Poblocki, and Michael Wexler. My ever-awesome husband took photos:

Bookshelf of Wonder!!!

We prepare to dazzle the audience with wit and wisdom...

Signing books!

Afterwards I went out with Diana Peterfreund (fabulous author of Rampant) and Sarah Cross (fabulous author of Dull Boy) for hot chocolate that had an ice-cube-sized chunk of homemade marshmallow floating in it. Ended up eating the marshmallow with a fork. Yum.

Me, Diana, and Sarah

In addition to having a wonderful day yesterday, today I received some lovely news: Publishers Weekly (big important trade magazine) liked ICE!!! Here's what they said:

"Durst skillfully integrates a contemporary girl into an updated version of the tale East of the Sun and West of the Moon, balancing the magical with the modern... [Cassie's] quest for self-worth, independence, maturity and love, is twisty, absorbing and satisfying."

The full review is posted here. Yay!

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At 12:10 AM, Blogger Jacob R Parker said...

Wow, great news all around. Congratulations on the review from Publisher's Weekly!

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger Anne Leigh said...

You did great on Sunday Sarah! Wtg! Great to see you again...Go to Dragon*CON! (see I told you I'd do it :-P)

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger Q said...

"I've always loved stories about girls who kick butt."
The way you said this made me giggle.

Also, married people who are besotted with each other melt my heart. You are too cute.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Enna Isilee said...

So cute! And all so true! I love it!

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Judi Guizado said...

So excited for you! Enjoy every moment!! Now here's your theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv1n6heDcEs&feature=related

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Phebe H.L. said...

Nice video! ICE can really relate to "Beauty and the Beast.":) And congrats on the review from Publisher's Weekly!! I just finished ICE, and I loved it!!! (I'm not telling the end though!) Way to go, Sarah!!!! :)

 
At 1:48 AM, Blogger Brenda said...

Congratulations on the excellent review!

Ice just went on my Christmas list! Well, it had to, I'm married to a polar bear and live in the already frozen almost-north! :)

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Jacob: Thanks! Definitely did a Snoopy dance of joy with that one.

SavyLeartist: Great to see you too! Thanks so much for coming!

Q: We work on our cuteness daily. :)

Enna Isilee: Thanks!!

Judi: That's awesome!!! I hadn't heard that version. In fact, I'd forgotten the song existed at all.

Phebe: Yay! So happy you liked it!

Brenda: Hope you and your polar bear husband enjoy it!

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Jakob Dailes said...

Love ICE. Just finished it Sunday. Awesome.

PS. Didn't you say you'd do an "Obscure Fairy Tale" for East of the Sun and West of the Moon?

PSS. May I suggest an Obscure Fairy Tale page for the tale "The Tale of the Youth Who Went Forth To Learn What Fear Was" by the Bros Grimm (Ya know, Jake and Will).

PSSS. Weirdly my name's Jakob and I have a friend named Will. I'm not related at all to the Bros Grimm, but still, it's weird.

PSSSS. That story (up in my PSS) can be found at http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Story_of_the_Youth_Who_Went_Forth_to_Learn_What_Fear_Was . It's also in the Blue Fairy Book.

 
At 8:35 AM, Anonymous warren farrell said...

Hey I just love to read books.
And I have many collections also especially I love read books of warren farrell.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home