Sunday, September 06, 2009

Let Them Eat Cake

Confession: I didn't always like cakes.

I'm fond of cute little desserts. Cream puffs. Eclairs. Little custard cups with glazed fruit. Cream brulee. You know, the miniature poodles of the dessert world. The kind of desserts you can tame in a single sitting. You don't tame a cake; a cake tames you.

But lately, cakes have been growing on me.


Not literally. I do shower. Really.

I have come to the realization that I love cakes.

Reason #1: Carvel ice cream cakes. Even at the depth of my disinterest in cake, I always made an exception for the Carvel ice cream cake. Vanilla on top, chocolate on the bottom, crumbly cookie-ish stuff in the middle. It epitomizes birthday to me. In fact, my husband once promised to always make sure that I had a Carvel ice cream cake for my birthday. He alw
ays delivers. One of the many reasons he is awesome.

Reason #2: Book cakes. Here's the photo that was the inspiration for this blog post:


How could I not love cakes where there exist happy-making cakes like this? The librarians at the North Shore Public Library in Shoreham, NY, surprised me with this beauty when I came to do a book event thi
s summer. Fantastic event. And not just because of the cake. I adored the audience too (though I failed to take a picture of them).

Reason #3: Cake wrecks. I discovered the Cake Wrecks blog via someone on twitter. I know, I know, it is inappropriate for me to laugh at others' baking efforts when I have been known to fail to hard-boil an egg. (Don't ask.) But you've really got to check out this site. Here's a sample:



So that's this week's momentous epiphany: I like cake. How about you guys? Any life-altering revelations lately?

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Meagan said...

Hey, it's harder than people think to hard boil an egg!
My husband and I saved a bit of our wedding cake, according to tradition, to eat on our first anniversery. We recently found out that a freezer mistake means it's spoiled. I suppose that's sad, but I was a little iffy about eating year old cake anyway, and now I have an excuse to get a new tiny (and fresh) cake. Note: unlike many fancy, grown up cakes, ours was DELICIOUS.

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Kirthi said...

ohmygosh, the baby cake was HILARIOUS!!!!!!!

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Antonietta May said...

i fail at boiling eggs. i never know how long to cook them!

at the yearly scottish games, i bought a matching set of green/brown/white/purple/sparkly fairy flower petal hat, wings and wand. but i'm still not a real fairy nor can i fly. that makes me sad, although i do look cool in them!

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Meagan: A year later, our wedding cake was inedible too. This may have had something to do with the fact that it was stored in a freezer with bait for lobster traps, i.e. fish parts.

Kiki: I know! According to the Cake Wrecks blog, the people who ate the cake actually moved the baby legs in order to cut into the cake, thus enhancing the total freakiness of the cake.

Hedgi: Your hat, wings, and wand sound very cool! I, sadly, have none of the above.

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Kirthi said...

Haha, that's so funny and wrong at the same time! I've never heard of saving wedding cakes for your first anniversary. i wouldn't want to eat a year old cake.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Phebe H.L. said...

Hi Sarah!
I just was looking at some blog posts, when I saw THIS. Oh my gosh!!!! The baby cake is so funny, but the last brown one is WAY MORE HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bye!
-Phebe
P.S. Aww man I want cake now :P

 
At 4:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was extremely interesting for me to read that blog. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything connected to this matter. I would like to read more on that blog soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home