Monday, August 03, 2009

Five Sarahs

Five Sarahs gathered at Books of Wonder in NYC yesterday to plot world domination. A-hem, I mean, talk about and sign books. Right. Perfectly innocent gathering. Nothing to see here. Move along, please.

But if you really do want to see... here are some photos from the Sarah Signing:

5 Sarahs: Sarah Beth Durst (me!), Sarah Cross, Sarah Rees Brennan, Sarah MacLean, and Sarah Ockler

And here is a photo of all our books:

Ooh, pretty!

I had a fantastic time. We all read for a couple minutes and then we answered questions from the fabulous audience. For example,

Question: "What weapons are in your books?"

Me, pointing at Out of the Wild: "A sword and a dragon."
Another Sarah: "A dragon is a weapon?"
Me: "It is if you use it properly."

Someone also asked what were our plans for the coming zombie apocalypse? I liked Sarah Cross's answer -- she said that if the zombies attacked, she'd probably just get eaten. Granted, as a plan, that's not ideal, but that's probably what would happen to me.

In my response to the question, I told everyone about the dream I had the night before Into the Wild's pub date: I dreamed that zombies were shambling down our street toward our house. To defend my family, I dug a moat. And then I thought that zombies could just crawl through the moat and attack. So I filled the moat with brambles. But then I thought the zombies could push through the brambles. So I filled the moat with water. And then I fetched the alligators. (Apparently, we keep them in the bathtub.) After dumping five or six alligators into the moat, I boarded up the house and hunkered down with my family to wait. The zombies were tearing at the boarded up windows when I woke up as a published author.

This is me, looking all professional yet talking about zombies.
(Thanks to Cathie for the photo.)


But the best part of the event -- indeed, the best par
t of any event -- was the chocolate. Sarah MacLean had these little puppies made:

Don't these make you want to be a Sarah?
(Thanks to Sharon for the photo.)

Aren't these so cool?

After Books of Wonder, I spent the afternoon with two of the Sarahs, Sarah Rees Brennan and Sarah Cross, as well as Cassie Clare, who is as awesome as a Sarah. We were later joined by Maureen Johnson, Josh Lewis, Ellen Kushner, and Delia Sherman... and thus were the Sarahs outnumbered.

Had a super-yummy dinner at a Greek restaurant that had lots of pots on the ceiling. And then I booked it out of there to catch the train home. Literally had to run through Penn Station to make it. But I did.

And the excitement wasn't over yet: on the drive from the train station to my house, at around midnight, I was pulled over by a cop. He claimed I had a headlight out. I suspect he could tell that I'd been plotting world domination with Sarahs.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

At 12:17 AM, Blogger GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

I wish I could have been there! I LOVE the chocolates. I really hate living in the middle of nowhere where there's not giant meetings for Sarahs. Sounds like a great time and I love the zombie story.
-Sarah

 
At 12:34 AM, Blogger MySharonAnne said...

The chocolate is now in my belly! I took like 20 of them. Please don't tell the others.

p.s. I've just been put in charge of your t2t Ice tour. Will be emailing you soon. Be prepared...be very prepared. :D

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

GreenBeanTeenQueen: Suddenly I'm picturing a giant meeting of all Sarahs from everywhere... A convergence of so many Sarahs could cause a rift in the space-time continuum...

Sharonluvscats: Yay! So excited for the t2t tour! Thanks for coming to the signing. Great to meet you!

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Realm Lovejoy said...

Wish I was there eating those chocolates and meeting five Sarahs! Looks like it was a great event.

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Kirthi said...

wow! that looked like so much fun! wish i was there

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Q said...

Here's a postcard for you:

You had some much fun! Wish I were there...

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Anne Leigh said...

It was so great to see you again! That was the most fun I've had in B.O.W. I loved your publishing dream-but I have to agree with Sarah, girlfriend of zombie shall be spared. (we are odd little things xD)

It was the best when you described how the letters from your editor were written "We love you, it's going to be *ok*." :-P

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger Antonietta May said...

i have our z day plan- there is this grate in the ground in front of the library-no joke- a block from school, a big underground hole, and it is very solid and we have SEEN ppl storing food ( even ice cream!) in there. so our plan is to first go to my locker to grab all my junk food, first aid kit, and stuff ( cause i am super prepared), then mad dash to the library. we shall be safe and i shall read your books out loud to stave off insanity!!! what do you think?

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Realm Lovejoy: It was definitely up there in my list of favorite events. All the other Sarahs were super-nice and funny, and the audience turn-out was great.

Kiki: I had a lot of fun. Lots of laughing. And I didn't stick my foot in my mouth more than once or twice.

Q: Postcard for you: Ate chocolate. Talked about dragons, polar bears, and zombies. Wish you'd been there.

SavyLeartist: So glad you could come! It was great to see you!!

Hedgi: Perfect! Count me in! Especially if there's ice cream...

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like fun! It's to bad I was stuck in the wrong state...
I don't know if this means I have no life, but I laughed for ages about the dragon-as-weapon. :D

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Kara Fischer said...

Sarah,

I was at the Q & A for the second half, and I recorded it on my iPhone and made a transcript. If you'd like a copy, the audio is here and the transcript is here.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Utterbookworm: Dragons are perhaps not the most practical weapon... Not exactly pocket-size...

Kara: THAT IS SO COOL!!! Must share this with husband. He was sad that he had to miss the event. Thank you!

(By the way, I think the first person to speak was Sarah Cross and the second one was me -- I'm the one obsessed with Raisinets.)

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Kara Fischer said...

Oops! And I also misspelled Raisinets, apparently :)

Fixed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home