Sunday, July 26, 2009

Bears and Sarahs

Random polar bear fact: Polar bears radiate so little heat that snow doesn't melt on them. (Be sure to tuck that little piece of knowledge away carefully. You never know when it might come in handy.)

Also, I just found out that the US postcard stamp this year has a polar bear on it. I think this is the most awesome stamp ever.

It makes me want to send postcards. Except I'm not going on vacation any time soon so I'd have to say stuff like, "Washed dishes today! Wish you were here!"

In other awesome polar bear news: The Central Park Zoo in NYC is hosting an event called Ice Chefs next Saturday. Two zookeepers are having a Top-Chef-style cook-off to see who can create the best taste-treat for polar bears. The bears are the judges! (Thanks to Cathie for the link.)

I'm also very excited for next Sunday when I get to be part of an awesome reading/signing/spectacle at Books of Wonder, a fabulous bookstore in NYC. They're hosting a "Sarah Signing" -- a panel of YA authors all of whom are named Sarah!! Sarahs will include Sarah Cross, Sarah Beth Durst (that's me!!!), Sarah MacLean, Sarah Ockler, and Sarah Rees Brennan. Here are the details:

Sunday, August 2nd from 1-3pm
Books of Wonder - Sarah Signing
18 West 18th Street, New York, NY

I've always rather liked the name Sarah. For one, it means "princess," and I harbor a secret belief that I am the prophesied princess of the unicorns. (Shh, don't tell anyone. You'll endanger us all.)

For another, the name is pretty much schoolyard-mockery-proof. Once, in fifth grade, a boy called me "Farah Fawcett" because Farah rhymes with Sarah, and I remember thinking, "Isn't she supposed to be gorgeous? Good one there." And then in middle school, a kid would sing that Sara song by Starship whenever I walked into the room. I'm sure I was supposed to feel embarrassed, but being a glass-half-full kind of girl, I thought it was rather nice to be serenaded.

I wonder... if I burst into song next weekend, will my fellow Sarahs think I'm insane? Or will they join in? Hmmm.....



Labels: , , ,

17 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Blogger tanita✿davis said...

The dishes postcard sounds perfectly reasonable to me. People don't send handwritten greetings often enough!

Dusted and unearthed the living room floor! Wish you were here!

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Q said...

A few years ago I counted the number of Sarahs I know and got up to about sixteen. Now it would be about twenty. That is a significant percentage of people I know.

Sent you a postcard! Wish you were here!

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Kirthi said...

That's such a cool stamp! I write a bunch of postcards to people i haven't been in touch with for a long time, it makes them feel good. :D

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Judi Guizado said...

Hi Sarah!

Here are a few more polar bear facts I'm sure you already know:

A polar bear's fur is not white. Each hair is completely color free and transparent with a hollow core. Polar bears look white because the hollow core scatters and reflects visible light, just like ice and snow does.

Polar bears are most active at night.

Some polar bears have been seen swimming hundreds of miles from land—though they probably cover most of that distance by floating on sheets of ice.

Things you learn teaching middle school science...

Can't WAIT to read your book!!

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

Whenever I acted bratty as a kid and my parents said I wasn't a princess, I'd tell them they shouldn't have named me Sarah!:)

I've never seen the video for that song and I have to say it's very weird. But I still like it since it has my name. I also love Sarah Smile by Hall and Oates. I wish I could go to the Sarah signing-sounds like fun and Sarah's rock!:) And I know I would join you in song.

-Sarah

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You can use the postcard stamps when you mail out announcements of your book release!!

Or...you could sign them, mail them to your fans, and we can use them as bookmarks :)

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Tanita: In high school, I had tons of pen pals (people I met at camp, on buses, etc.). Now I can't remember when I last wrote a letter. Kind of sad, though I admit to being totally addicted to email. Combed my hair! Wish you were here!

Q: Sarahs will take over the world! Used a stamp! Wish you were here!

Kiki: That's a really nice idea. Getting mail is always so happy-making.

Judi: Some polar bears in zoos have been known to turn green as the hairs absorb the green from the algae in the water.

Sarah: How did I not know there was another song with the name Sarah in it?!? Must go listen.

Beth: Good idea! Thanks!

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Antonietta May said...

"blogged about sending you a postcard, wish you were here" giggle!

agreeing with beth, the would be pretty cool.

i only know a few sarahs.. like 3.( however i know 14 emmas)

in ONE of Italo Calvino's folktales, polar bears are mentioned as guarding the way to an island, where the magic water to restore a king's sight is found... they vanish magically after the kid gets the water, but they were there.. cool, huh?

(PS, I'm your newest FaceBook fan)

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

I went on a Sarah song kick in college when I was downloading songs like crazy. There's also songs called Sara (I think they're without the H-blech) by Thin Lizzy, Bob Dylan, Fleetwood Mac. There's also one by Rascall Flats but it's about a girl with cancer-not the best Sarah song. And there's Death Cab For Cutie's What Sarah Said. And Zak and Sara by Ben Folds Five. :) See? Obsessed I tell you!

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Sarah Rettger said...

I remember going through my college directory once (when I apparently had waaaay too much time on my hands) and calculating that something like 5% of my classmates were Sara(h)s.

 
At 6:02 PM, Anonymous ShardasWindow13 said...

greenbean- i heard that song on the radio the other day( the sarah-with-cancer- song... ( her name wasn't just 'sarah' either, it was sarah-beth... CREEPY!!!!!!!)

your fairy tales are amazing, by the way. hedgie made me read one and i can't stop!!!

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Tara McClendon said...

The Abilene, Texas zoo has a polar bear. It's true. I've seen it. Its awesome fur keeps it cool as well as hot, so it can chill on 100+ degree day. Amazing animals.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Hedgi: Good to see you on Facebook! I'd forgotten about those polar bears. They would make fierce guards.

Sarah (GreenBean): I feel like a slacker-Sarah. I don't know any of those songs!

Sarah Rettger: LOL. I wonder what percentage of the general population we are...

ShardasWindow13: So glad you like them!

Tara: I fed giraffes once at the Abilene Zoo. Very cool. Lovely zoo.

 
At 6:34 PM, Anonymous Hannah said...

That is a gorgeous stamp. It kind of makes me want to insist upon letters from my friends in the US just so I can have one for my very own. But I think that would be a bit pathetic.

As someone with the middle name of Sarah, I feel qualified to say it *is* an awesome name. And that's not just based on the princess thing. (Although it mostly is. I was delighted the day I found out that translated my full name means 'Graceful and gentle princess of God's promise'. Clearly I was some kind of prophetic princess who would save the world with my goodness! I'm still waiting for the day to come when the prophecy kicks into action.)

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Love that stamp! Now I have to go write all my overdue letters...:P
I loved the 3 princesses story. i''m still wondering what happened to the talking head though. ;)

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Anne Leigh said...

Yay! Books of wonder!!! I'm gonna try my hardest to be there and see you!

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Hannah: I like picturing that on official forms. "Occupation: prophetic princess."

Utterbookworm: Me too re the head. I spend a lot of worrying about the fate of the poor random characters in fairy tales. Not to mention all the abandoned parents.

SavyLeartist: Hope to see you there!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home