Monday, June 01, 2009

BEA 2009 Trip Report (part 2)

Click here to read part one.

Part Two: Friday Afternoon at BEA

Lots of wandering and lots of conversations with lots of awesome people, including but not limited to Adrienne Maria Vrettos, Donna Freitas, Rose Fox, Sheila Ruth, Sara Zarr, two very nice booksellers from Calgary, and Bob.

Yes, Bob, the Bob, from Sesame Street.

He knows Big Bird

He was standing there, waiting for his signing as if he were an ordinary person and not best buds with Elmo, so I went up to him. I was remarkably inarticulate. I'm not saying that to be self-deprecating. I mean, my grasp on nouns and verbs deteriorated and I was left rearranging indefinite and definite articles in hopes of constructing a sentence.

Anyway, after gibbering incoherently at the very nice and gentlemanly Bob McGrath, I encountered Aimee Friedman and joined her at the BEA Young Adult Editor's Buzz, a panel where several editors pitched their favorite fall books. My favorite line: "The stories in Laini Taylor's Lips
Touch are hot in the same way that Markus Zusak is hot."

After the panel, I decided to hunt for ARCs (Advanced Reader Copies). Got a signed ARC of Forest Born from the fabulous Shannon Hale and scooped up an ARC of Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan. In general, there were fewer freebies at this year's BEA, which meant that people didn't have the huge tote bags swinging from their shoulders and clocking shorter people in the faces. Bet you never knew the book business was so dangerous. You should have seen the year when Clifford slipped his leash and went all Cujo.

Clifford, Big Red Dog of Terror

Visited the Simon & Schuster booth again in the afternoon and talked with lots of fantastic S&S people, including Lucille Rettino, Paul Crichton, Bethany Buck, Bess Braswell, Elke Villa, and others, as well as Michelle Nagler from Bloomsbury.

By the end of the afternoon, my feet, back, shoulders, and oddly enough that webbed part of one's hand between the thumb and index finger hurt. But I soldiered on. 'Cuz I'm brave like that.

Coming soon: Part three of my BEA Trip Report: Friday night

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 9:12 PM, Blogger Antonietta May said...

again, this is me being incredably jelous of you- and wishing i could spell.
did i mention i wish i could meet you and all the awesome authors you know/have pics with?
if you ever come to northern cali, i will be there with cookies and posters.... and people that i tell all about your blog!( there was a little girl in the library after school today looking for your book- we only have, like, one coby of into the wild, and it had just been returned, so she couldn't find it.. she was almost in tears... i spotted it though :)

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Hedgi: No trips to CA planned at present, but someday... I can't say no to cookies! :) Thanks for guiding that girl to my book!

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Laura Anne said...

I saw you wandering by Friday afternoon while I was being interviewed at AllRomance, but by the time we were done you had disappeared! (because yeah, such high odds of finding someone in that place...)

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Laura Anne: So sorry I missed seeing you! Hope you had a good time at BEA, and hope the interview went well. I've sent a photo to your DYMK email address...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home