Monday, January 18, 2010

Newbery and Printz 2010

Snoopy dance of joy for Rebecca Stead and Libba Bray!!!

This morning, Rebecca Stead won the 2010 Newbery Award for her beautifully crafted novel WHEN YOU REACH ME, and Libba Bray won the 2010 Printz Award for her brilliantly hilarious novel GOING BOVINE.

I love it when nice things happen to nice people. Both Rebecca and Libba are awesome people in addition to being fantastic writers.

I first met Rebecca when we were both members of a debut-author group called the Class of 2k7. (Her excellent debut novel FIRST LIGHT came out the same year as my debut novel INTO THE WILD.) She's always been so friendly and sweet and gracious. I was so excited to hear she'd won the Newbery. Bet she was too!

Libba is simply hilarious, both on the page and in person. I've had the pleasure of hanging out with her at various teen author events in Manhattan, most recently at a Teen Author Reading Night where we both read from our books. While the rest of us read our scenes in the usual chronological order, Libba asked the audience to call out page numbers and read a selection of random pages from GOING BOVINE. It was the best reading I've ever heard. And of course, there's this.

So please join me in dancing for Rebecca and Libba, as well as all the other winners and honorees of today's American Library Association awards. See the full list here.

Sometimes the universe gets things right. Well done, ALA.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 11:38 PM, Blogger Beth said...

*dances* that's awesome! Congratz to them!!!!

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Amy Sisson said...

In pure coincidence, I just started reading Going Bovine yesterday! I love that the voice is so different than that in her other books, yet just as authentic.

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Haunted Mansion Geek said...

I second the pure coincidence! I'm nearly done with Going Bovine right now! FANTASTIC!!!

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

dorkvader: *dances too* Just watched Rebecca being interviewed on the Today Show. So cool.

Amy Sisson: Yeah, her voice is fantastic.

Haunted Mansion Geek: Just have to say, Haunted Mansion is my absolute favorite ride in all of Disney World.

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Phebe H.L. said...

*joins snoopy dance*
Yay! I've read first light (rebecca stead wrote it... btw it is AWESOME) and now I can read "when you reach me" and "going bovine" knowing they are good. Congrats to them!!!!! :D

 
At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!!! I love your book "Into The Wild"! I am on page 131 and I love it! Can't wait to read "Out Of The Wild"!
Good book!

-Jordan Stone

 
At 3:03 AM, Anonymous monica sharma said...

wow!
awesome!

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Phebe: Ditto on the congrats!

Jordan: So happy you're enjoying it! Yay!

Monica: Very awesome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home