Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Booklist Review of ICE

The first trade review of ICE is in..... And it's good!!! Snoopy Dance of Joy!!!

My husband is enormously relieved about this. This novel is so very close to my heart, and he didn't want to have to pick a Sarah-puddle up off the floor. Sarah-puddles can be quite icky, and a huge pain to clean up, especially once they get in the carpet.....

The review is from Booklist (the book review journal of the American Library Association), and they call ICE an "enchanting tale" and "a page-turner." Yay!!!

Here's the full review:

"In a twist on the fairy tale East of the Sun, West of the Moon, this enchanting tale tells of Cassie, a young woman who grew up studying polar bears in the Arctic. Cassie, raised by her widowed father and her Gram, was told the fanciful tale of her mother’s promise to the Polar Bear King and banishment to the Troll castle. On her eighteenth birthday, Cassie realizes her mom's story was actually true and makes a promise of her own to the Polar Bear King: if he rescues her mother, Cassie will be his bride. But who is the mysterious Bear and what is his role in saving souls and maintaining the circle of life? Although there is some question as to why Cassie cannot split time between her two worlds, the ending is resolved in a satisfying manner. Told in a descriptive style that perfectly captures the changing settings, Durst’s novel is a page-turner that readers who enjoy adventure mixed with fairy-tale romance will find hard to put down." -- Melanie Koss, Booklist

While we're on the topic of things that inspire Snoopy Dances and prevent Sarah-puddles, I'm thrilled to report that ICE has also received blurbs from two authors whose work I absolutely adore: Tamora Pierce (author of the supremely awesome Tortall and Circle books) and Juliet Marillier (author of the fabulous and beautiful Wildwood Dancing). Here's what they said:

"This beautifully drawn tale captured me in a realm of wonders!" -- Tamora Pierce

"I loved this deeply romantic story." -- Juliet Marillier

Just in case you're curious, my Snoopy Dance is a little like this.

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Becca Fitzpatrick said...

I agree with Booklist - it was a page turner! Seriously, so awesome. And I'm dying to know how you know so much about Alaska and all the researchy stuff!

I'm doing a big giveaway for ICE on my blog soon. I'll keep you posted :)

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Q said...

Oh, joyousness! That's wonderful. I can't wait to read it.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Cate said...

That's wonderful! I can hardly wait!

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Judi Guizado said...

Oh, so excited for you!! Even though you know your work is wonderful, it's always enjoyably validating when others find it "enchanting"! Go, Snoopy, go!

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Congradulations! It sounds wonderful, and the blurbs are further convincing!

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Can't wait for our library's copy to come! Ice has survived two budget cuts to remain on my YA list for the fall!

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Antonietta May said...

I'm glad that *they* think it's good. pft, i haven't even read it and i KNOW it's good.
i'd review Ice right here and now, only i can't because i haven't read it yet, but i will, the very second it comes out.. well, no, because it's a Tuesday, and i have school.. but at lunch of that Tuesday, i will go to the bookstore and buy it! and i will read it *after school, unless fourth period is math, in which case :-D

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Becca: YAY!!! Thanks so much! I’m so glad you liked it. I adored Hush, Hush! I’m about to send you an email...

About research... I just read pretty much every polar bear book, Arctic explorer memoir, and cold-weather survival guide that I could get my hands on. And I watched every Arctic documentary I could find. (My husband was totally sick of them by the end of it.)

Q, Cate, Judi, and Jen: Thank you!!

Jennifer: So happy it survived the cuts! That’s great to hear!

Hedgi: *blush* Thanks for the enthusiasm! Hope you like it!

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Tara McClendon said...

Congratulations! I love the term Sarah puddles. Glad there wasn't one this time.

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Fantastic, and well done! I reallyreally can't wait to read the book.

 
At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the great review! I'm really excited to read your book. I love the folktale you based it on so hopefully I'll love the book too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home