Sunday, August 15, 2010

Jedi Fireworks

Only thing I don't like about Return of the Jedi: the fireworks.

In a galaxy far, far away, why would the fireworks look like 1990s Earth fireworks? Fireworks technology changes. Also, why does everyone have fireworks displays at the ready? It was a surprise attack by the Rebels (or it was supposed to be). Have they been keeping the fireworks prepared for the last few decades? Seems a bit optimistic of them. Like keeping confetti in your pocket for years in case you find yourself in the middle of an unexpected surprise party.

Aside from that... BEST MOVIES EVER.

I hear a single line of dialogue from Star Wars, and I feel instantly comforted, as if I've bitten into a chocolate chip cookie or sunk into a bed with a dozen pillows. The first movie in particular (A New Hope, of course, NOT Phantom Menace) is, for me, the ultimate in storytelling and the obvious answer to "What's your favorite movie?"

I also like The Princess Bride, The Dark Crystal, and Labyrinth. But really, Star Wars tops them all. And for the record, Han MUST shoot first.

The trilogy was on TV last night as I was working on polishing my Top Sekrit Project. I'm at the scrutinize-every-sentence-for-clarity-and-poetry stage, which is one of my favorite stages because I love playing with language. Only thing I don't like about this stage is that I means I'll be done soon.

I used to look forward to finishing a novel, thinking there would be some great sense of accomplishment. Or a parade. Or at least a few elephants in fancy hula outfits. But after writing several novels, I now know that I feel a bit bereft after I finish. I miss my characters. I miss my world. I miss writing the novel that I've been immersed in. So I've stopped looking forward to finishing and have just been enjoying being immersed in the novel.

I think there's some deep life lesson in this: enjoy the ride or it's all about the journey or keep the fireworks ready or whatever.

Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

At 11:06 PM, Blogger holly cupala said...

Ah, definitely like a chocolate chip cookie. As soon as I saw your post title, I thought, "old Jedi mind trick..."

I, for one, am very excited to see what SBD, Jedi Master, will come up with next!

(Oh, and I thought the fireworks were launched from a fly-by from the rebel fleet?) I know, I know. Nerd alert. ;-)

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Q said...

If it makes you feel any better, your readers get really un-bereft-ified when you finish novels. Just saying.

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Holly: I totally want the title Jedi Master. And my own lightsaber. Also, chocolate chip cookies.

You're right about the fly-by so I suppose I can accept fireworks for the second moon of Endor. But the new ending also has them in Bespin and Coruscant... Definitely bugs me in Coruscant, where the Emperor's grip would have been the strongest.

Q: That does make me feel better. :)

 
At 1:59 AM, Blogger Enna Isilee said...

What I learned from this psot: I need to re-watch the old Star Wars.

Secondarily: the dark crystal scares me.

Finally: I actually do keep fireworks in my room. Just in case. ;)

 
At 2:32 AM, Blogger Jay Asher said...

Scrutinize-every-sentence-for-clarity-and-poetry is the BEST stage of writing. I wish I could live there!

 
At 2:38 AM, Blogger Nicole Marie Schreiber said...

Thanks for your great blog posts!

I love Star Wars and The Princess Bride too. I even had a Princess Leia doll growing up!

I also feel that chocolate chip cookie goodness with the films Back to the Future (first and third one), E.T., The Goonies, and Indiana Jones (first and third one). I can hardly wait to show those films to my two sons when they get older. I often wonder if those films helped define my love for writing fantasy and adventure as much as books did.

Thanks again.

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Laura said...

I LOVE all the Star Wars films. They are awsome.

Plus, about the writing, the reason why i'm doing mine in three storys is to totally tell Angel's (main persons) jouney from start to finish, abit like ICE and, i'm sure Enchanted Ivy will be great too, and your new book!

Keep your writing going 'n'your spirits up,

Laura.

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Enna Isilee: I think I did have some nightmares involving Skeksis when I was little. I also had nightmares involving Gonzo. And clowns, but that almost goes without saying. Really, who hasn't had the clown nightmare?

Jay: I know! I always find it tough to go from that stage to the totally-unpolished first draft stage of the next project. That transition always involves a lot of chocolate.

Nicole: I don't think I've seen E.T. since the original release. I think I'm worried it won't stand up to the memory.

I'm sure those movies helped define my love for that kind of storytelling too.

Laura: The Star Wars movies are definitely awesome. Except for the romance scenes in Attack of the Clones. That one in the field with the hippo-like creatures is too much like a deodorant commercial.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Mickie Mueller Art said...

Yes, the fireworks were a little bit, well, contrived. Also, yes, Han shoots first! I concur, it aggravates me every time I watch the redoux version, my 11 year old son and I both always shout, "Han shot first!" LOL Still, the Star Wars universe will always be one of my favorites.
http://mickiemuellerart.blogspot.com/

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Mickie Mueller Art: I once saw a photo of George Lucas in a "Han Shoots First" T-shirt.

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The fireworks were totally being saved for The Big Day. For centuries. No problemo.
My problem with the BEST MOVIES EVER!!!!!! is Leia's hair.
I'm a dancer. I have experience hair-putting-up-and-not-STAYING-up...
Capering 'round the death star and all? It totally should have fallen down!!!!!!
*straighten glasses, look sheepish*
Sorry, just a little pet peeve of mine.
Thanx for this post. The end made me laf :) cuz i love to think how there isn't always an, um, DEEP moral for everything....
Can't way for Sekrit Project! :)

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

utterbookworm: Perhaps they have extra super-strong hairspray in a galaxy far, far away? Truthfully, most hair styles are a mystery to me. I've lost bobby-pins in my hair for days...

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Mickie Mueller Art said...

Ahh, George knows the truth! That makes me happy!

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Christina said...

Star Wars is one of my favorites too just because of the capital story! Dialogue can be cheesy (even if it's rarely), effects can be less than great, but I love the story, and I love the characters!

We grew up on the movies. Not even kidding, from age 0.

Have you read any of the Star Wars books? I'm such a nerd that, yes, I have. Some of them are very good.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger TerryLynnJohnson said...

I have to pipe in here to say - best movie ever: Braveheart (bad timing to admit this I suppose. Darn you Mel)
Just checking in to tell you I went searching for Enchanted Ivy at Chapters last week, but when I looked it up, I see I still have a little wait ahead.

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Mickie: I found it comforting too.

Christina: I've read a few of them. Which ones do you recommend?

TerryLynnJohnson: I saw Braveheart in Scotland, which was cool. Nothing can top Star Wars in my heart, though. :) Thanks for looking for Enchanted Ivy! It will be out 10/12.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home