Sunday, July 18, 2010

Top Sekrit Project

Brace yourself. I'm about to begin this post with the most cliched opening possible:

So sorry I haven't blogged in a while!

But I have a very good reason: I've been writing. A lot.

I'm working on a brand-new novel. Can't tell you about it yet. Top sekrit. Shhh... I may have already said too much. *ducks and hides*

Seriously, though, I'm having the BEST time writing this book. All I want to do is write it. I resent having to sleep because it's perfectly good writing time wasted. (Plus I've been having these tremendously boring dreams. Other night, I dreamed we ran out of paper towels. Ooh, exciting. Go, subconscious, go.)

I think my writing process has changed a bit with this novel. I used to speed through the first draft as quickly as possible so I could get to the fun part of writing -- revising -- where the story comes to life. My rule was always: write to the end and don't look back. This time, though, every time the writing slows, I stop, backtrack, and restart from the point at which it started to slow. It feels sort of like a two-steps-forward-one-step-back kind of dance.

At any rate, it's working, and I'm working hard, and I can't wait to tell you guys all about my new Top Sekrit Project!!!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 12:09 AM, Blogger Enna Isilee said...

I was wondering where you'd gone!

 
At 2:50 AM, Blogger Amy Sisson said...

Have been meaning to tell, I read Ice as one of my five elective choices for my "writing children's lit" class. We read five books together, then got to choose five on our own.

Enjoyed it muchly! Coincidentally, am now reading Theodore Taylor's Ice Drift as my fifth book on the list. Am starting to suspect I am drawn to Arctic climes.... might have been the three years I lived in North Dakota!

 
At 5:43 AM, Blogger Laura said...

WOW, wanting to hear more about this one Sarah, liking it already.

thats what my writing process is like, one step forwards, two steps back.

Anyways, injoy your writing, i'm loving mine! Every single little part of it.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Lauren said...

Awesome! Can't wait to see what it is!

I like to write the opposite way. I write whatever I'm writing, and when I stop and come back to it the next day, I want to revise it.

Your rule is very good, about writing to the end. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Anywho, good luck on the story! Break a leg...er...pencil!

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Meredith said...

Congrats on the new project! Writing the first draft is always my fave part :) Hope it keeps going well for you!

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Erin said...

ooh exciting!!

 
At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is really random but is Into the Wild going to be a movie??! i would so watch it.

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Enna Isilee: Still here. Still writing. Still eating Raisinets. :)

Amy: Yay! Glad you liked it! I've gotten rather fond of cold weather books too (so long as they don't feature a polar bear hanging out with a penguin).

Laura: Happy to hear you're enjoying writing. I'm still loving working on this novel.

Lauren: That is a good way to do it too. Sometimes I try to leave off in the middle of the scene so that I know exactly where to start the next writing session. It's easier than starting up fresh.

Meredith: Thanks! Still going well. I'm starting to like the first draft stage more and more. (I used to only love revising, since that's when the story really comes to life.)

Erin: I'm very, very, VERY excited!

Anonymous: I'd watch it too. :) Seriously, though, no movie plans at present.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home