Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Bookmarks

My mother is a smart, funny, beautiful, wonderful woman. But she has one serious flaw. When she reads a book, she often...

(Please brace yourself here. If you are prone to fainting spells, please sit down.)

... marks her place by laying the book face down, spine up, and open. Sometimes she will mark her place by sticking another book in there so that the poor book rests there, mouth open li
ke a patient waiting for a dentist to drill. Or she'll use a wad of tissue. Or even a pencil or (gasp) an uncapped pen!

And in response, the books cried out twice, a cry that was no more than a breath: "The horror! The horror!"

But no more. Now, she will have...

Bookmarks!

Last week, my magnificently awesome husband designed bookmarks for INTO THE WILD. And today, the nice UPS man brought them to our door! They look super-spiffy, if I do say so myself. Here, take a look for yourself (front and back, click to see larger image):

    

What do you think? Super-spiffy, right?

We got 1,000 of them. The box weighed, like, 307 pounds. I spent a fair amount of time tonight admiring them. They look extra-super-spiffy when you take a stack and fan them out. I made my husband do that about 8 million times. Anyway, I am planning to bring a whole stack of them with me to the SCBWI Winter Conference and to Boskone. So if you see me at either event and would like one, please don't hesitate to ask. Also, if you are a librarian or a bookseller and would like some to hand out, please let me know and I'd be happy to send them to you. I'd like to do my part to spare the books of the world the horror of a bookmark-less existence.

10 Comments:

At 11:02 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Those are so cool!

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Thanks, Erin! So glad you like it. The box of a thousand looks even cooler. :)

 
At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alas!
These bookmarks might inspire me to tame my *wild* ways (hint hint,nudge nudge)!
I have a habit of using pencils as book marks-or bending the corners of the page to mark my spot (my name is an infamous one to libraries all over the continent).
The fanning book marks out sounds pretty cool!
-Sookie

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Sookie... bending the CORNERS!?! *shudders* Sounds like I had these bookmarks printed up just in the nick of time! If you'd like one, please email me your mailing address and I'll mail you a bookmark ASAP.

 
At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you thank you thank you!
I sure will!
And yes, my books could write their own novel in and of themselves-about a sad book called Joe who was tormented everyday by having his pages bent and re-bent-but suddenly found salvation when an unsuspecting author sent the reader a bookmark!
What a story!
-Sookie

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Sookie, your bookmark will be in the mail next week, just as soon as I can find a good pen to sign it with! Don't worry, Joe, help is on the way!

 
At 5:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe will appreciate it, I'm sure!
Thanks again,
Sookie

 
At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have one, I have one! It's pretty!

(I'm Rachel, by the way, from Boskone. Gennie and Elena and I went to your HP panel and your reading.)

P.S. You should come poke around on Sheroes!

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Hi, Rachel! So nice to see you here! Chatting with you guys about Tamora Pierce's novels was one of the highlights of Boskone for me, and it was so cool that you all came to my reading. Great to meet you!

- Sarah

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Sarah, could i have one please? They are very lovely and spiffy. I'll email you my home address.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home