Friday, January 12, 2007

Must Sleep!

I am very, very, very tired.

This morning, I had a dentist appointment -- to fill three cavities! Three!!! Before this, I'd never had even a single cavity. 32 years of perfect teeth and then, pow, three cavities! What's up with that? I feel like my teeth betrayed me. Or perhaps it had something to do with those Raisinets... Nevertheless, since I'd never had a tooth filled before, I was petrified all week about this appointment. (And this song was playing over and over in my head.) Yet while
the dentist was merrily drilling away at my pearly whites, I fell asleep. Really. He had to wake me up! That is how tired I am.

Why am I so tired? I blame vodka pizza and rice pudding.

This week, I went into Manhattan not once but twice, for two different Drinks Nights. First was TADN (Teen Author Drinks Night). BIG turn-out this time. I chatted with many awesome people, some that I'd met before and some that I hadn't, like Libba Bray, E. Lockhart, and Jordan Sonnenblick. Afterwards, a bunch of us went out for vodka pizza (yum!), and after that, Coe Booth introduced Cecil Castellucci and me to Rice to Riches, a very Manhattan-looking place that sells various flavors of rice pudding in spacepod style cups.


Cecil took this photo:


We've decided that we look like an indie rock group and are thinking of touring under the name Rice Pudding. (Or maybe Rice Puddin'.)

I got home around 1am to find that my editor had sent me the final page proofs for INTO THE WILD (yay!). So I stayed up late and woke up early to review them.

Less than 48 hours later, I hopped back on the train to Manhattan and went to Drinks Night #2: Kidlit Drinks Night, a gathering of bloggers, editors, authors, and all other lovers of children's books. I chatted with many awesome people, all of whom I'd never met before, like Betsy Bird, Alvina Ling, Lisa Greenwald, and many others. Everyone was super-nice. Afterwards, some of us went out for pizza (I had a slice of the vodka-sauce pizza, of course), and after that... rice pudding in spacepod style cups!

I got home around 1am and stayed up late and woke up early to work on my day job (which decided to get ultra-busy this week).

So I think the cause of my exhaustion in the dentist's chair this morning is quite obvious. Clearly, someone's been drugging the pizza and rice pudding in SoHo! This looks like a case for... The Bloodhound Gang!

I told you I was tired...

3 Comments:

At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a ton o'fun.

And yay! Someone else remembers the Bloodhound Gang.

- Jay

 
At 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that picture.

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Jay: How could I forget the Bloodhound Gang? That's one of those theme songs that gets stuck in your head for hours...

Cecil: Me too! Hope you had a great rest of your trip.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home