Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Kirkus Review for DRINK, SLAY, LOVE!!!

Eeeeeeeee!!! Look what my editor just sent me -- the very first trade review for DRINK, SLAY, LOVE! And it's good!! Eeeeeeeeee!!!

Please excuse all my eeeeeeeeeee-ing, but I'm just so happy about this. (And relieved...) And HAPPY! (And RELIEVED!) It's hard to describe the intricate blend of emotions that authors experience when a new book is coming out. For me, there's a feeling of great accomplishment and joy, certainly, but no matter how proud I am of my work, there's always some anxiety too. And by "some anxiety" I mean TOTAL PANIC!!! Will they like it? Will they?! WILL THEY?!?! So when the first big trade publication comes out with their review, it's a tense moment to say the least. I hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and then... gritting my teeth... crossing my fingers... I... I... I totally wimp out and make my husband read it first. :) But I digress.....

Check out what Kirkus Reviews had to say about my new precious:


DRINK SLAY LOVE (reviewed on July 1, 2011)

A unicorn gives new life to the now-tired teen supernatural romance—kind of literally.

Being a teenager really sucks. But life is carefree for Pearl, 16 years old, beautiful, a born vampire with a hot boyfriend and tasty pickings at the all-night ice-cream stand. At least it seems carefree…until she’s stabbed by a unicorn. Suddenly, she can walk in the sun without burning up. She can attend school, make friends with kids who used to be prey and maybe even have a life away from her very scary mother. Her vampire kin can’t understand it—but they can hardly wait to take advantage of it. With the King of New England coming to initiate new members of the local clans into vampire aristocracy, Pearl’s family has been chosen to provide the feast. And what makes a better feast than the junior class? If only Pearl weren’t beginning to develop a conscience. What to do…stay loyal to family or preserve the life of her new BFF? Decisions, decisions. Combining a sense of humor with dark appeal of supernatural romance, this book is funny, scary and thought provoking all at once. Pearl is a feisty heroine who meets her match in the unicorn, who refuses to give up on her.

Even jaded fans of the supernatural will find fun in this one. (Paranormal. 14 & up)

-- Kirkus Reviews


Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! Today, I am a very happy Sarah.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Meagan said...

Congratulations Sarah, I can't wait to read it. :-)

I have to admit though... when I see "Pearl" + "vampire"... I can't help but think of the icky archivist from Blade...

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Meaghan: Thanks so much! I've never seen Blade. Would I like it?

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Blade is more "vampire hunter with a secret destiny," so it's kinda like the Matrix with blood. My brother and I thought the sequel was hilariously horrible, but the first movie is supposed to be good.

Pearl sounds like Buffy's polar opposite.

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Dani said...

I am so excited for this book. Congrats, on sweetastic review!

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger christine M said...

What an awesome review! Congratulations!

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Priya: I do enjoy hilariously horrible movies. (For example, Waterworld. That catapulted right over bad and into AWESOME.)

I often wonder what would happen if Pearl and Buffy met... Much violence would probably ensue.

Dani: Thanks so much! I'm excited too! :)

Christine: Thanks so much!

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Pearl vs. Buffy would depend on if Buffy were dating a vampire or not at the time. Pearl vs. FAITH, however, would definitely be violent.

 
At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Tamora Pierce said...

REALLY nice review, Sarah! I can't wait to read it!

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Thanks so much, Tammy! And I can't wait to read MASTIFF!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home