Monday, March 03, 2014

CONJURED Audiobook & New Title for My Next YA

A few announcements:

(1)

My latest YA book, CONJURED, is now an audiobook!!!




It's produced by Audible and narrated by Holly Fielding.  I can't express how very, very cool (and admittedly freaky) it is to hear one's words read by someone else.  Kind of feels like drawing a picture of an imaginary girl, and then having the girl say hello and walk off the page.  The narrator does a fabulous job and hits just the right hauntingly creepy tone.  You can listen to a sample here, if you're curious.

(2)

For almost every one of my books, the process of finding just the right title required sifting through many, many not-quite-right titles.  With only one exception, the title I gave the book while writing it was not the one it ended up with.  (The exception was VESSEL, which was always VESSEL.)  The fact is, titles are hard!  You've got all the pressure of naming a new baby -- you know, pick something that can't be mocked on the playground and won't otherwise scar him/her for life -- but you can't go with any traditional names.  It's fine to name your new baby girl Emma, but it's frowned upon to name your new book OF MICE AND MEN or GONE WITH THE WIND.

I am very pleased to announce that my next YA novel (formerly titled MIND OVER MAGIC) now has a new, final title:

CHASING POWER

It will be coming out in October 2014 from Bloomsbury/Walker and is about a girl with telekinesis.  I'll be posting more about it soon!

(3)

Speaking of soon...  my first book for adults, THE LOST, is coming out in less than three months!  Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

In honor of this, I redid my website to showcase the lovely blue cover: www.sarahbethdurst.com.  What do you think???

I've also updated the Appearances page to include my spring events.  (Is it spring yet?  I am so ready for spring.  All our trees and bushes are still bent from the weight of all the snow and ice.  Oh, and the gutter fell off our roof.  Fell.  Off.  The.  Roof.  It filled with ice and crashed down, taking out an outdoor light fixture and bending a hose spigot on its way to the ground.  That was exciting.)

(4)

It's not spring yet.

But it will be soon.  I hope.

Happy almost spring!

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 12:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats on the audiobook and for finding a title! Sometimes it's hard to find the phrase that captures a beginning, middle and end, not to mention a large adventure in prose.

The cover for the Lost adds an ethereal layer to the website; reminds me of Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things. The book is going to be SO exciting!

PLEASE COME VISIT MIAMI! Warm weather, huge YA audience, and a lovely Books and Books that plays live music.

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Priya: Thanks so much!!! And the warm weather is very, very tempting. I am so ready for spring!

 
At 7:33 AM, Anonymous Laura Harrison said...

Chasing Power? LOVE IT =D Will it be out in the UK?

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Jennavier Gilbert said...

I love the new website design! Very thematically awesome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home