Monday, January 14, 2013

Mice in the Basement

Cleaned the basement last weekend.

I say that casually, but in reality, this was as massive a task as excavating King Tut's tomb, if King Tut's tomb were crammed with broken electronics, Styrofoam-filled boxes from defunct appliances, and the old window sashes that we replaced eight years ago but somehow couldn't bear to part with.

We discovered a few treasures, including some ancient mice:


 

Guess which one was mine.

I had that mouse in college, and I used it for writing a lot of plays, too much angsty poetry, and various papers on the awesomeness of Jane Austen.

Also in our cleaning spree, we discovered a Clapper.





No idea why or when such a device came into our lives, but I am contemplating hooking it up to a different appliance every day.  Just to keep things interesting.

Cleaning out the basement was surprisingly empowering.  After we finished, I felt like anything was possible.  I am hoping to hold onto that feeling as I start my next writing project.

Actually, writing a book has a lot in common with cleaning a basement.  It feels like an intimidatingly huge task when you start, but if you take it box by box, you (hopefully) discover some treasures hidden within the trash that are worth saving.  You know, like a unicorn mouse and a Clapper.  Because every story needs a unicorn mouse and a Clapper.


Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I don't know about mice, but few treasures survived when my room got cleaned out over the break. Didn't realize that computer mice used to be so cute. Took about four days to do so.

Every story DOES need a unicorn mouse riding to the rescue with a clapper. Flickering lights always cause a necessary distraction when confronting a threatening villain.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Priya: I also have a computer mouse with paper mouse ears and whiskers.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Antonietta May said...

AWESOME.
Such cute mice. i think I better go get some unicorn stickers for mine.....

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Now THAT is awesome, Sarah. You need to post a picture of that mouse! It could be a creative writing exercise for the rest of us!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home