Sunday, July 15, 2012

THE LOST, THE MISSING, and THE FOUND

I have news!!!

I sold my first novel for adults!  Actually, three novels -- my very first trilogy!

This is how I feel about it:


Or in words:

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the announcement in Publishers Marketplace:
   
Fiction: Sci-Fi/Fantasy
Sarah Beth Durst's THE LOST, THE MISSING, and THE FOUND, about a woman running from her bleak life who finds herself trapped in a small town where all things lost -- luggage, keys, people -- are mysteriously deposited, to Mary-Theresa Hussey for Luna, by Andrea Somberg at Harvey Klinger (world).


I am making my debut into the world of books for adults.  But don't worry!  I'm not leaving the YA world!  I will be writing two books a year -- a book for adults and a book for teens -- and I am tremendously excited about this.  (Pub dates are still up in the air, but my best guess at my upcoming publication schedule is here.)

You might ask, "Why two books a year?"  Quite simply, I'm a faster writer than I used to be.  (Or more accurately, I'm more efficient with my writing time.  I think it's because I understand my own writing process better.  This was a really pleasant discovery.)  Also, I have more stories that I want to tell!

You might ask, "Why books for adults"?  In a recent interview, I was asked about writing for different audiences.  Here's what I said: "I love writing fantasy.  I love creating a story that could never happen and taking readers on a journey into the impossible.  Some of these journeys call for a younger protagonist; some call for an older one.  I actually try hard not to think about the audience as I write.  I think about what works for the story and its characters."  This trilogy calls for an adult protagonist.

You might ask, "What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?"  Well, the average cruising airspeed of a European Swallow is roughly eleven meters per second, or twenty-four miles an hour, but I'm not convinced that's a relevant question.

I'm really, really excited to write these books and to share them with you.  And I hope that you'll join me in performing the traditional Snoopy dance of joy!!!

Labels: , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

At 9:01 AM, Blogger Amy Sisson said...

Lovely news, and the premise sounds intriguing. Congrats!

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Amy: Thanks so much!!

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Dot Hutchison said...

Congratulations! That's WONDERFUL news!

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Dot: Thank you! I'm still doing the Snoopy dance of joy. :)

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Roro: Thanks!!!

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Charlotte is my favorite Disney character who's not a hero. Who can NOT love a sweet, selfless bubbly Southern belle? Congrats on the book deal, Sarah!

 
At 1:06 PM, Anonymous 4siva.com said...

Nice.

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger kieu said...

I fell in love with the first book, so I am waiting patiently for the second installment when is missing coming out??

 
At 3:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too, am waiting for the next installment. Is there a date? speculation? anything?

 
At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Kathy said...

I loved this book. I just couldn't stop reading it. I normally read suspense thrillers but this caught my eye and I'm so glad I read it. Can't wait for the next book. You've got a new fan.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Sharon GR said...

Still waiting for word on the sequel! Loved this one and hoping to read the Missing soon.

 
At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please find a way to release the second and third book of this series, absolutely loved it! If you need a petition signed or something let us know, we'll do it!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home