Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Happy Book Birthday Enchanted Ivy!

Happy book birthday to you,
happy book birthday to you,
happy book birthday, dear Enchanted Ivy,
happy book birthday to you!!!

*cheers and throws confetti at book*

Today is the publication date for my newest book, Enchanted Ivy, as well as the paperback release of Ice!


Enchanted Ivy is my magic-at-Princeton book.

While visiting the campus of Princeton University, sixteen-year-old Lily discovers a secret gate to a magical realm and must race against time to save herself, her world, and any hope she has of college admission.

It is 100% autobiographical.


Okay, it's not at all autobiographical. But it is true at its heart. It's about that pivotal (and terrifying) moment where you know that the decisions you are making will forever change you and your future -- the college application process.

Junior and senior year of high school, I was obsessed with getting into college. I saw college as this huge turning point that would shape who I became and what I did with the rest of my life. So I was utterly consumed with the pressure of making the "right" choice. This novel grew out of that
obsession.

It also grew out of my love of Princeton. I'm not exactly sure what it is in my psyche that causes me to acknowledge that love by morphing the place into some magical bizarro world and then ripping it apart. But whatever. It's all done with love. Seriously.

I think Princeton is a magical place. You enter campus through an arch of elm trees and cross a shimmering lake into a gorgeous patchwork of verdant fields, beautiful brick buildings, modern buildings that look like sculptures, and gothic buildings edged in ivy and wisteria. In other
words, it's pretty. Plus, it has gargoyles.

One gargoyle in particular caught my attention. He's a little fellow, curled between stone vines on an arch above a side entrance to the University Chapel.


Once I saw him, he began to haunt me. (Well, not literally but... I digress.) The look in his eyes just seemed to say... TELL MY STORY.

So I did. :)

Special thanks to my awesome agent Andrea Somberg, my wonderful editor Karen Wojtyla, and the fabulous team at Simon & Schuster. You guys rock. (No pun intended with the whole gargoyle thing...)

To my Princeton friends... I love you, and I'll see you at Reunions!

And yes, I am totally wearing my Princeton tiger tail all day today.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At 12:54 AM, Blogger Mundie Moms said...

We are so excited for you! Happy release day!!!

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Mundie Moms: Thanks so much! *continues Snoopy Dance of Joy*

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Laura said...

YAY!!

*Runs to book shop*

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger christine M said...

Yay! So exciting! Now I just have to eagerly wait for the mail and my very own copy!

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Elizabeth Amy Hajek said...

Hurrah! Congratulations, Sarah! Now... oh bother. I've had it on order from the library for months, but now that it's actually out, I don't think I can wait, even though I'm first on the list!

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Release day!!!! Woohoo!!! Throwing you confetti sparkled cupcakes (my fav) and very excited to go and snag a copy!!!!

I just found you on twitter and your book sounds amazing!!!! Naturally I stalk so I made my way to your website which led to your fabulous blog!!!

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Lauren said...

Huzzah! And look! You got five stars from the first reviewer on Amazon!

 
At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Danielle said...

Yay!!! I'm so excited to read your book!I was writeing in my planner this morning and I looked at the date and I realized today was the release date. I almost shouted out loud but i was in class so instead I resorted to writeing it in my planner really big and with lots of exclaimation marks. I hope to get to a bookstore soon and buy Enchanted Ivy.

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Laura: Thanks!!

Christine: *cheers on mail* Hope it comes soon and hope you enjoy it!

Elenatintil: You're so sweet! Thank you! Hope you like it!

Jen: So happy you found me! Welcome! And thanks for the sparkly cupcakes. Very yummy.

Lauren: Yay! So cool.

Danielle: It's on my calendar with lots of exclamation marks too. :) Hope you enjoy it!!

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Pen said...

Congrats! Your book sounds totally cool. I'll have to see if I can hunt up a copy.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Jakob Dailes said...

The dragon gargoyle looks like Gollum from LORD of the RINGS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home