Monday, July 14, 2008

Readercon, Northboro Library, and Fitchburg State

This Friday, July 18th, I'm heading up to Massachusetts for not one, not two, but THREE book events. Yes, three. This is a new record for me. Hmmm, perhaps I've overbooked myself ever so slightly...

8:30am - Fitchburg State College

My high school English teacher, Ms. Tsang, is giving a course at an AP teacher training institute (teaching teachers to teach AP English) and invited me to be a guest speaker. Should be very cool.


2pm - Northboro Library (17 Lyman St, Northboro, MA)

I've been looking forward to this for a while. I'm doing a library visit in Northboro (my hometown and the setting for Into the Wild and Out of the Wild) at the library where I spent a large fraction of my childhood. I'm really, really excited about this event. The Northboro Library is where I learned to love books. It's where I discovered Lloyd Alexander and Tamora Pierce and David Eddings and Diane Duane and Diana Wynne Jones and... My
mom used to take my brother and me there all the time, and we'd leave with this huge L.L. Bean bag full of books. (My mom eventually had to put limits on me, or I would have walked out with entire shelves straped to my back. And by "limits" I don't mean "you can take one." I mean, "Sarah, please try to limit yourself to twenty.")

And check this out. I've even got a picture of myself, at age four, signing up to get my first library card at the Northboro Library. A newspaper photographer happened to be there at the time, covering
some sort of card registration drive at the library, and I happened to be absolutely adorable, so I got my picture in the paper! And my mom kept the article for the past thirty years! Take a look:

Hey, that's me!

Plus, this library also features prominently in Into the Wild -- an entire chapter takes place there! So, yeah, I'm kinda excited about this event. I'll be talking about, reading from, and signing copies of my books. And I'll probably tell a few embarrassing tales from my childhood. So, if you're in Northboro this Friday (7/18) at 2pm, come on by!

6pm (and the rest of the weekend) - Readercon

After Northboro, I'm hightailing it (I love that expression -- where does it come from?) over to the Marriott in Burlington, MA for Readercon. Readercon is a Boston-area fantasy and science fiction convention with an emphasis on literature. It's attended by lots of excellent authors and is always well-run and well-organized. I'm really thrilled with my schedule this year. My first event of the weekend is a reading from Out of the Wild at 6pm (thus completing my book triathalon). Here's my full schedule:

Sarah at Readercon 2008:

* Reading - Fri. July 18, 6pm - Sarah Beth Durst

* Autographing - Sat. July 19, 11am - Ellen Datlow, Sarah Beth Durst

* Panel - Sat. July 19, 1pm - Beth Bernobich, Suzy McKee Charnas, Michael J. Daley, Sarah Beth Durst, Walter H. Hunt, Ellen Kushner, Judith Moffett - "Are You Writing a Sequel?"

* Panel - Sat. July 19, 3pm - Judith Berman, Cassandra Clare, Michael J. Daley, Sarah Beth Durst, Charles Oberndorf, Nancy Werlin - "Gatekeepers to the World of Letters"

* Workshop - Sun. July 20, 10am - Kay Kenyon, Sarah Beth Durst, Walter H. Hunt, Elaine Isaak - "Stop Making Sense: Next Stage Dialog"

* Kaffeeklatsch - Sun July 20, 11am - Paolo Bacigalupi, Sarah Beth Durst

* Panel - Sun July 20, 1pm - Shira Daemon, Sarah Beth Durst, Scott Edelman, Louise Marley, Ann Tonsor Zeddies - "Finding Hamster Huey's Head: The Nature of the Childhood Favorite Story"

And after that, I collapse into a little puddle of tired (but happy) Sarah.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Blogger Anne Leigh said...

Awwww! You look so cute X-3!!

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Kelly013 said...

Wiktionary says that hightail, "Refers to behavior of fleeing animals, such as deer, that raise their tail when running away." The question that naturally follows is: "Why do they raise their tails?"

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger AnnaDee said...

all those kids that get to go see you are lucky.
i check every day to see if you're comming to califorina!

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger tanita✿davis said...

Have fun at your event! How cute were you at three, by the way? And how awesome is your Mom for saving that?

Here's a fun review of your newest book at one of my favorite blogs. Cheers!

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger Max said...

Hurrah! I did find you (even here in the wilds--actually that's a loaded word for you, isn't it?--of Blogger)! It was so cool to meet you at Readercon, and I hope I see you again sometime! Meanwhile I will just have to force myself over here to this part of the internet. *tries very hard*

Thanks for your encouraging words about NANOWRIMO WEREWOLF NOVEL (its working title), by the way. Hopefully someday it will get to where I can share it. :3

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Savyleartist: Thanks! The part I like best in the photo is the typewriter. It looks so archaic, but it's not like it was THAT long ago.

Kelly013: Perhaps to show off the cuteness of their fluffy tails?

Annadee: Someday I hope to make it to California. No immediate plans. But thanks for checking!

Tadmack: My mom is seriously awesome. I'm impressed that she not only saved it but that she could find it again after all these years. I love, love, love that review!! So cool to read such an in-depth discussion!

Penguinkye: Welcome to blogger-land! See, it's not so scary here. So great to meet you at Readercon! I hope to see you again at a future event too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home