Friday, February 01, 2008

First Review for Out of the Wild

I swear my heart nearly stopped beating this morning when I saw a Google Alert for the very first review of Out of the Wild!!! I didn't even know anyone had a galley yet. The review is by Tasha Saecker (Kids Lit) of the Elisha D. Smith Public Library in Menasha, WI, a member of the fantasy/SF nominating committee for this year's Cybils. To my great (enormous, overwhelming, knee-shaking) relief, she likes it! She writes:

"Out of the Wild is one of those incredibly rare sequels that is even better than the first book."

YAY!!!

And then there was this part, which really made me happy:

"Durst's writing continues to be the same high quality as the original book. Her tone is completely consistent between the books, two halves of a whole story. After the first story, I never expected a sequel. It had been a completely satisfying and complete tale. But now having read the second book, I realize that half of the story was missing though I didn't know it at the time. What an accomplishment - to create a complete tale and then create another book that makes the first even more complete and powerful."

Oh, go on. *blushes* No, really, go on...

"Durst's books are very friendly, filled with humor, and will be enjoyed by many types of readers. This is fantasy that has an ease about it and should be recommended to readers who enjoy fantasy but also to any child who enjoys a great read. Highly recommended for ages 9-12."

Okay, okay, I'm done quoting. You can click here to read the full review.

In other cool news, Look Books posted an interview with me. (Thanks, Felicity!) Click here to read.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At 4:01 PM, Blogger Q said...

Bah! Ages 9-12!? Who is she kidding?

Erm, but other than that, it's wonderful! Congratulations, Sarah!

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Thanks, Q! I'm so happy/relieved/excited! I can't wait until June!

 
At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I can't wait to read it!

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Enna Isilee said...

Ah! Better than ITW? That could be a very bad thing. I don't know if my unworthy brain can comprehend it! ;)

I didn't expect a sequel either. I said so. And then people said "Oh there is one! And it comes out this year!" and I said "Wha?!"

How in the world do you bloggers buck up the courage to ask an author for an interview? Here I am this brazen lass, unafraid to speak to anyone and then someone says "author review" and my shoulders immediately curl. "You... you- uh... interviewed an author?" *girlish giggle*

Oi.

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Q said...

Silly Enna Isilee. I'm sure you could have too when you reviewed ITW. I mean, you're not Miss Erin, but still. If you wanted it to, I'm sure Squeaky Books could become a great blog. Don't forget the little people (*ahem*) when you are famous!

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Thanks, Enna. Never be afraid to ask an author to do an interview. There are two things authors can't get enough of: praise and free publicity! :) Seriously, while I can't speak for all authors, I can tell you that I am always very flattered whenever anyone asks to interview me. If you're ever so inclined, I'd be more than happy to be interviewed on Squeaky Books. Just come up with some questions and email them to me. Though, at this point, since I just did an interview with Felicity, it would probably be best to wait a month or so, just so I can come up with something new to say!

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Q said...

Ah, but Sarah, it would make it so much easier--you see, you could recycle some answers!

Or Enna Isilee could just ask the most bizarre questions she could think of...

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Enna Isilee said...

Those are generally the first that come to my mind. ;)

 
At 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will you make a movie?

 
At 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've read the book like 12 times and i can't figure it out. Is the librarian evil and plotting the use of the wishing well? and i would like 2 know... r u making a movie of Into the Wild?

 
At 1:28 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Anonymous: All is revealed in the epilogue... :)

I'd love for there to be a movie, but there are no plans yet. Trust me, if it happens, I'll definitely blog about it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home