Friday, February 22, 2008

Farewell, Evil Tree

Remember that evil tree I told you about last month? Its roots had clogged up our pipes, which backed up the kitchen sink, which made the dishwasher overflow, which caused water to seep through the floor into the basement and directly onto our boiler, which caused its control circuits to short out, leaving us with no heat in the middle of the night! (Yes, this really happened.) Well, apparently, what goes around comes around, even for trees.

A few nights ago, there was a big storm and it was really windy outside. Sometime in the middle of the night, my husband and I heard a loud thud. We sat up, exchanged confused glances, and then fell promptly
back to sleep. In the morning we found our tree, the very same (evil) tree, ripped off of its stump and lying on our patio. It missed hitting our house by only a couple feet.

Here lies evil tree. Apparently, it really was rotten to the core.

My husband thinks evil tree was trying, once again, to attack us, ending its life in a failed attempt to crush our house. I think evil tree felt remorse for its past misdeeds, and when the wind came howling, missed our house on purpose, as an act of redemption. Either way, evil tree is no more.

Now, how the heck do I get it off my patio?!

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 1:02 AM, Blogger Rick said...

A is right, evil tree was going for the kill.

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger Ryan Freebern said...

Ding-dong, the evil tree is dead!

I, for one, am looking forward to photos of you wielding a chainsaw.

 
At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you're not worried that the Wild might have sent one of its evil minnions to stop you from writing Book 3. Stay strong, Sarah! The pen is mightier than the magnolia!

 
At 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoops! Mispelled "minions"! Please give me an A- on my comment!

 
At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Omigosh, make that a C-!!! It's so freakin' bad when you misspell "misspell"!!!

Time to turn off the computer now. Maybe there are some good cartoons on...

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Enna Isilee said...

I love your forgiving nature Sarah.

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Rick: Now I'm going to have nightmares. If I wake up shouting about trees, I'm so blaming you.

Ryan: That would be a kind of hilarious/scary photo. Especially if there were singing Munchkins around.

Judi: What a great slogan: "The pen is mightier than the magnolia!" I love it!

Enna Isilee: Thanks! (Great pun, by the way.)

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger Q said...

I have a friend who was traumatized in her youth because a tree fell on her house. She was terrified of the wind for years.

I personally think the Wild is out to get you. Not surprising considering that you are exposing all its secrets in your books.

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Q: Yikes! That's terrible about your friend. I hope she's doing okay now.

You may be on to something about the Wild being out to get me. We should all beware the Wild! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home