Thursday, July 12, 2007

Upcoming B&N Event and NYPL Trip Report

Worcester Barnes & Noble

On Saturday, I will have my first Massachusetts bookstore event. I will be reading from and signing copies of INTO THE WILD at the Barnes & Noble in Worcester, Massachusetts. Here are the details:

SATURDAY JULY 14 at 3:30pm
Barnes & Noble - Worcester
Lincoln Plaza, 541 D Lincoln Street, Worcester, MA


I am really, really excited about this event because of the following bits of coolness:

Coolness factor #1: It's a solo reading, which means that if I want to sing an aria, no one can stop me (except for the fact that I don't know any arias and can't sing on-pitch anyway and will most likely set all the dogs in Worcester howling if I try... okay, no arias).

Coolness factor #2: It's in my hometown (or rea
lly close to it). I'm from a town called Northboro (just outside of Worcester), which just happens to be the setting for INTO THE WILD, which brings us to coolness factor #3...

Coolness factor #3: It's in Julie's hometown (or really close to it). In INTO THE WILD, real places are transformed into fairy-tale settings: Bancroft Tower, Higgins Armory Museum, the Northboro Public Library, the large rooster sign outside of Agway... I love the idea that I'm going to be reading from Julie's story less than a mile from where Julie rides a griffin.

And an extra special new coolness factor #4 that I j
ust learned about today: I'm going to be on TV!!! WCCA Channel 13, a local cable station, will be coming to Barnes & Noble to interview me at the event. Me, TV, hee-hee! Perhaps they would like me to sing an aria...

If you're in central Massachusetts this Saturday, hope to see you there!

Teen Author Reading Night (NYPL) Trip Report

Last night, I read from INTO THE WILD as part of the Teen Author Reading Night (orchestrated by author/editor-extraordinaire David Levit
han and uber-librarians Ann and Jack) at the Tompkins Square Branch of the New York Public Library. Also reading were P.E. Ryan, Robyn Schneider, Hobsen Brown, and Kieran Scott. Very, very fun. I really enjoyed hearing everyone's readings.

Plus I got to talk into a microphone. I think I'm developing a thing for microphones. They're cool. You feel kind of powerful using one. I'm not very good with them, though. I either forget the mic's there and move away from it, or I'm so intent on talking into it that I donk my teeth against it. And every time I use one, I have to fight the urge to sing. (See above comment
about arias and dogs for why that's a bad idea.)

Anyway, here are some pictures from the reading:

All Eyes on Me and my Microphone

Robyn and Me

Special thanks to Coe, Sean, Alyssa, Julie, Cathie, and everyone else who braved the rain to come!

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 1:34 AM, Blogger coe booth said...

Your reading last night was fantastic. I'm glad I braved the rain to come and hear you read. Of course my hair now looks like Don King's, but it was worth it!

Good luck on Saturday. I know you're going to knock 'em dead!

:-)

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Thanks so much, Coe! It was great to see you. Hope to see you again soon!

 
At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Admittedly, my jeans are STILL wet, but I'd be happy to brave the rain to hear you read again if only you'd come back into Manhattan. Of course, it would be very cool if you arranged a reading at the castle, what with all the ambience.
(and, by the way, many toy stores sell rather portable microphones in case you want to be prepared should the urge to launch into an aria hit you while you're NOT at a reading....)

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Cathie: Hope you dry soon!!

I'm somewhat intrigued by the portable microphone idea...

 
At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was it raining that night? You were shining so brightly, I hadn't noticed.

You did a great job. I'm just within 50 pages of the end of the book, and figure to finish it on the train tonight (darn this job getting in the way of my reading time). Enjoying it immensely!

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Sean: *blush* Thanks so much! Glad to hear you're enjoying the book!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home