Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Enchanted Ivy Campus Tour: Stop Four

Stop Four of the Enchanted Ivy Campus Tour!

Dillon Gym

Dillon Gym looks like this:


See those three arches? One of the characters in Enchanted Ivy lives between the center and right arches:


"She bent sideways to look underneath the gargoyle for a microphone and speaker. She didn't see one. 'Mr. Ape,' Lily said in an even voice, 'are you talking?' She wasn't going to let the Old Boys rattle her this time. They'd rigged the gargoyle somehow.

"'Professor Ape, if you plea
se,' the gargoyle said in the same soft as sand voice. 'I have tenure.' He chuckled as if he'd made a joke."

Next to him are three other gargoyles who don't talk. This one seems very surprised about that:


Inside the gym is, you know, gym stuff.

I once took a tae kwon do class upstairs in the gym
(in the same room that Lily uses to climb out the window, not so coincidentally). I lasted until the teacher paired us up, and then my self-preservation instincts took over and I booked it out of there, thus shattering my childhood dream of being the next Karate Kid.

Other Gargoyles

One of the things that I love about writing is that it forces you to see all the hidden gargoyles. For most books, that's a metaphorical statement. For this book, it was literal. Here are a few more of the gargoyles that I discovered on my visit that I had no idea were there before I walked in Lily
's footsteps:




I love this last little guy. He seems so angry, yet so eager to reveal his belly button. He doesn't appear in Enchanted Ivy, but I'd love to know more about him. What do you think his story is? Let me know in the comments!

Stop five coming soon.....

To see stops 1-3, click below:

- Stop One (FitzRandolph Gate and Nassau Hall)
- Stop Two (East Pyne Courtyard, Unseeing Reader, and Firestone Library)
- Stop Three (En Route to Blair, Goblin With Shell, and Dorm Door)

Or click here to view all my campus tour blog posts at once.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 6:00 AM, Blogger Laura said...

I think his parents are on the campus and he was the only one that got turned into a gargyole. He hates that and it shows, plus, if you look at his belly, it reflects up as a mirrior so you can see him as he was before, happy.

(you askeed for his story, i gave it you. XD)

 
At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Meaghan said...

Thanks for all the great pictures you shared! I am so glad I got to see them all and relive the moments from the book when seeing them :)

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Laura: I like that! Definitely would make me grumpy to be the only gargoyle in the family... I like the idea of a mirror showing past happiness.

Meagan: So glad to hear you're enjoying the pictures! I referred to them constantly while I was writing this novel.

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Thanks. Glad you liked it! *blushs* That just made me very happy that you like that guys story. =D

 
At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Emma said...

I had wondered what each gargoyle had looked like. I just read it after you visited the Bay Shore Public Library. Thanks for your time :]

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Emma: Great to meet you at Bay Shore! Hope your writing is going well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home