Thursday, January 19, 2012

My New Muse

"I want to be your muse!" Annie announces.

Annie is a fictional character without a story. She visits me sometimes while I'm trying to write.

"I think I would be an awesome muse," she says. "Whenever you're stuck, I'd sing to you to comfort you. Or perform interpretive dance." She lifts her leg in the air and waves her arms like a deranged chicken.

I try to think of a delicate way to say "no." "I always pictured my muse as more like Tim Gunn," I say. "You know, 'That sentence doesn't speak to me. I'm concerned. Make it work!'"

She pouts. "But I've always wanted to be a muse!"

"Really?" I hate to crush her hopes and dreams. She might be a disruption but she's otherwise harmless. Plus she brings snacks. I can see a bag of yogurt-covered pretzels stuffed in her pocket.

"Actually, no," she said. She hops onto my desk, crinkling the latest print-out of my work-in-progress. "I wanted to be a hero. But it didn't work out."

Despite knowing better, I ask, "What happened?"

She beams at me, hands me a yogurt-covered pretzel, and says, "Well, if you really must know... I was born to be a hero, seventh daughter of a seventh daughter. There were prophecies about me and everything. Some of them even rhymed. One involved an interpretive dance..." She flaps her arms in the air again.

"What were you supposed to do?" I ask.

"Find the Lost Acorn of Eternal Peace."

"So what went wrong?"

She shrugged. "A squirrel ate it."

"Seriously?"

"Would I lie to you?" Annie asks. She points to my computer screen. "You know, that sentence doesn't speak to me. I'm concerned..."

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Valerie G said...

Just delightful!

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Thanks, Valerie!

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Laura said...

LOVE Annie! Shes so awsome! *Pouts for a treat too*

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Diana said...

I love it!

 
At 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If she still doesn't have a story- although it sounds like she's getting one- maybe her story could end up being like these blog posts- She keeps pestering writers to tell her story, even though she hasn't got much of one ( because she's too busy bothering writers to go have the adventure the stories gonna be about)

or not. but the interactions she has with you are really awesome and would make a great book. ( and then the fourth wall was shattered quite beyond repair. "Those darn squirrels," aid Annie.)

 
At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Maxx said...

It's hilarious!I especially like the part where it says "They make cute,little chittering noises before they land on their 'victim's' heads".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home