Saturday, November 11, 2006

Galleys!!!

A couple days ago, I went into the big city (again) for some meetings with Razorbill/Penguin folks and to have lunch with my wonderful editor. (It's quite clear that I'm still a total newbie at all this because I can't help but get a big grin across my face upon even thinking those words ... lunch with MY editor ...) Anyway, lunch was delicious and the meetings went really well, but the highlight of my visit came when Ms. Editor handed me a big stack of galleys for INTO THE WILD. Yes, you heard me right: I've got GALLEYS!!!

For those not in the biz, galleys are like book prototypes. They haven't been proofread and don't contain all the bells and whistles, but they're bound and have cover art on the front and back and include all the page formatting and such. Sometimes they're known as Advance Reader Copies, or ARCs, or Galley Proofs, and mine says "Advance Uncorrected Proof" across the cover, but it's all the same thing. And I think mine is beeeeeeautiful! It looks like a REAL book! Check it out:


I first learned about galleys/ARCs a year or so ago when I was reading the blog of Diana Peterfreund, debut author of a fabulous chick lit novel called SECRET SOCIETY GIRL. Diana had just received her ARCs and was so excited that she posted a picture of herself lying atop a pile of them. So cute. I remember feeling really happy for her, if a bit jealous. Well, now that I have my own ARCs, I know just what to do. It's my turn to take that picture. So I did! And here it is:


I regret only that I don't have more copies. If I did, I'd fill up my bedroom and swim through them!

8 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Blogger Faith said...

Love the picture!! I'm saving a mental image of it, to do the same in a year or two after I sell my book--

And I'm also really looking forward to reading yours. You chose such a good selection to read at the reading, that you definitely have my curiosity piqued! Enjoy these exciting times!

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Your book looks so, so cool! I can't wait to read it.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Faith: Thanks so much. I'm looking forward to seeing your picture-with-galleys!

Erin: That's so sweet of you to say. Thanks! I can't wait for you to read it too! :)

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Diana Peterfreund said...

Cute pictures! Isn't it great to finally have the galleys. I htink we should make a galleria of people lying in seas of galleys.

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Thanks, Diana. OMG, can I just tell you how cool it is that you found my blog. I've been reading your blog for what seems like ages now. I found it really inspiring back when I was "aspiring", and now that I'm getting published, I think of it as a guide to what the future might bring (if I'm lucky). I thought of your picture-with-galleys as soon as I got mine!

And SECRET SOCIETY GIRL was awesome too. Laughed by butt off.

 
At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Each step forward must be even more amazing - "Look it has to be real now I have an actual BOOK!" Glad to follow along vicariously. Huzzah!

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Jeri said...

Yay--galleys! Doesn't it make you want to sit down and read your book cover to cover for the first time in non-manuscript form?

Love the photo. :-)

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

John: I didn't know that. Cool!

Rick: Thanks for joining me on this journey. (Um, did that sound dorky?) Anyway, glad you're here!

Jeri: Yeah, I started reading it on the train ride home. It felt so surreal. Wonderful, but surreal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home