Saturday, September 02, 2006

All Dreamers Welcome

Have you ever had a dream come true?

Welcome to mine.

I'm Sarah Beth Durst, and I'm about to be published! My debut novel, currently titled Into the Wild, is coming out in summer 2007.

I have wanted to be a writer since I was ten years old. Before that, I wanted to be a ballerina, an artist, or a superhero. Preferably Wonder Woman. But with actual flying ability instead of an invisible jet -- way too many logistical problems with an invisible jet, not to mention how idiotic it looks to sail through the sky in a seated position. Remember the Super-Friends cartoon? She was never invisible, just the jet. How did she see the instrumentation? Seriously, if I had an invisible jet, I'd reach for the throttle and hit eject. Not a good idea.

Anyway, I wanted to be a writer so badly that I never talked about it except in really vague terms:

friendly person trying to make casual conversation: So... what do you do?

me: Write.

friendly person feigning interest: And what do you write?

me: Novels.

friendly person now feeling somewhat discouraged: Oh. That's nice. What kind of novels?

me: I think it looks like rain. Do you know if it's supposed to rain today? Maybe I should get my umbrella. Oops, I left it at home. Five miles away. Brisk walk. No problem. See you later!

I think I was afraid of being teased. Becoming a writer -- a published writer, a professional writer -- mattered so much to me that I knew from age ten that I didn't have a sense of humor about it. That's how badly I wanted it: so badly that it wasn't funny.

And now it's happening. It's really, really happening! [Insert Snoopy dance-of-joy.]

So I'd like to take my first step in turning my private dream into a public dream-come-true: I'd like to invite you (hello!) to share this time with me here on this blog. Please, post comments. Email me. Or just lurk and read.

All dreamers welcome here.

4 Comments:

At 12:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Sarah!

Congratulations! Not that there was ever any doubt that you'd do it!

-- Tim Powers

 
At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Sarah,

What a great accomplishment! I'm looking forward to your summer publication date and will recommend it to all my students. Can't wait to hear about a sequel.

--Lynne

 
At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I akways thought it was weird that there was this woman squatting in the sky, too. Flying on your own is so much better, though maybe she would have gotten cold--they never made that clear.

And now you're going to be a superhero in your own right, to your readers. You won't feel like one, but take it from someone who knows--the moment your book gets published, there will be kids who will look at you as if you are Wonder Woman made real. You won't feel like that, and you'll wonder if they're on drugs, but just remember the way you feel about your favorite writers, and accept that they know a bit more about the people who feed their dreams--which now will include you!

I'm so thrilled and happy!

Tammy

 
At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SBD!!

My bestest friend, my mostly companion, my soul mate since we were what horrible age…14 or 15? Why were we instant friends? Well books of course! Remember sitting in the sun on the library floor reading D.E. together? Or lying around your family room and your dad telling us to “do something” and you replied “we are doing something—we’re reading!” A true friend is someone you can sit in silence with and read a book. I’m so glad we’re still friends and I’m so proud of you! I tell everyone I know, “My best friend’s an author, my best friend’s an author!” It’s so cool that now other people will become friends over your book.

Big hugs to A and ‘B and you from deepest Africa, ooooooooh I think I just saw a lion...

Love,

Rachel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home